• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ok...need some help fixing Windows

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HeatM1ser2k4

OK, so I decided to "compress" the diles on my boot drive, and next time I tried booting up I get this error saying BOOTMGR is compressed. So, I did a Windows 7 upgrade, and it saved the old version of Windows to a folder named "Windows.old"

Is there any way for me to fix this so that I can have my old Windows back?

Sounds like a question for a Windows 7 techie, I would try posting on the Windows 7 Forum for this one.

Sounds like a question for a Windows 7 techie, I would try posting on the Windows 7 Forum for this one.

I cant see the forums. Must be an update that I have to install to view them...all I saw was a "create new thread" button

Edit: Even now that I can see the forums, I dont see one specifically for Windows 7....can you post a link to that forum please and I will post this in there.
Thanks!

Last edited:
How to restore a Windows 7-based computer to a previous Windows installation by using the Windows.old folder
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971760

... and for reference, recovering from the "BOOTMGR is compressed" message at boot is correctable by typing the following commands from the System Recovery Options menu--> Command Prompt...

bootrec /FixMbr
bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /rebuildbcd
exit

How to restore a Windows 7-based computer to a previous Windows installation by using the Windows.old folder
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971760

... and for reference, recovering from the "BOOTMGR is compressed" message at boot is correctable by typing the following commands from the System Recovery Options menu--> Command Prompt...

bootrec /FixMbr
bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /rebuildbcd
exit

Thanks!!!! As always, the users at OCForums prove to be very resourceful and even more helpful!

I have personally gotten better help from this forum and redduc900 in particular than on any of the listed forums above or any other forum I ever visited, even for non computer hardware related topics.

I am particularly surprised every time I get better info on even non-computer related questions here than on forums specialized for other topics, let alone computer hardware/software issues.

I have personally gotten better help from this forum and redduc900 in particular than on any of the listed forums above or any other forum I ever visited, even for non computer hardware related topics.

I am particularly surprised every time I get better info on even non-computer related questions here than on forums specialized for other topics, let alone computer hardware/software issues.

Awesome! :grouphug:

Thank you for the help. Unfortunately, I had to reformat my drive and reinstall Windows....but I did learn something in case I'm facing the same situation ever again,

:)

If you were going to do that, maybe partition your hard drive this time, then make an image of your OS partition after you set everything up just like you want it to be.

That way you can image it back when something goes wrong in the future.

If you were going to do that, maybe partition your hard drive this time, then make an image of your OS partition after you set everything up just like you want it to be.

That way you can image it back when something goes wrong in the future.

Good idea!

Back