• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OK, NOW i'm confused!!! - please help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wallisj

Hi all

Just built my new pc:
P4 3.4/800@215MhzFSB = 3.65Ghz
Abit IC7-MAX3 mobo 14 bios
Swiftech MCX478-V w/ Sanyo Denki 92mm Med CFM fan (~65)
4x 512Mb Corsair XMS3200 =2gb (6-3-3-2)
Hercules 9800XT Classic
2 x YS Tech 120mm fans (1 in front, 1 out back)
1 x Exhause Blower in PCI slot2 from graphics card
Creative Audigy2 ZS

This was running until today on stock intel HSF and i was getting the following temps:
Idle: Case 30-32°C
CPU 40°C

Load: Case 30-32°C
CPU 60.5°C

I resat the intel HSF several times to practice and perfect it before leaving it and got those temps. I could also up the FSB to 210mhz and it would run the same temps.

I am now running with the new cooler (pain to fit so i ain't doing it a second time) and now with stock clocking i get the same idle and load temps...although i can now run a 215Mhz FSB to get 3.65Ghz clock speed.

But my puzzle lies in the fact that either stock, or overclocked to 2 different rates with both intel and supposedly good new HSF i am getting the same high (i think) temps.

I have read many places that the abit mobo's read high temps and to be honest my heatsink when i removed tonight....literally shut down from 2x Seti@home threads...open case and remove...the HSF didn't feel very hot but like i said about i am about 99.9999% certain it was sat right.

So after all this ramble...(sorry go going on) am i in "ok" land or am i really getting much to high temps?

Thanks v much

Jamie

Welcome to the forums!! tho i dont own a p4, id say 60°c is a little bit high. If your overclocking id DEFINATELY change from stock cooling - no matter what processor. Your best bet is a Thermalright sp94 (available from www.overclock.co.uk) with a reasonable 80mm fan of your choice and some arctic silver5 thermal paste to ensure good heat conduction between cpu and heatsink.

Tornado Guy

Don't know bout the IC7... Though I have a much older BD7II(though with p4 [email protected]). My mobo reports temps similar to yours. Overclocking with 1.76v vs 1.44v still gave the same temps. Changing to watercooling still gave very similar idle but a small 5C decrease in load. So currently my cpu is like 49C idle, 53C load. I highly doubt with water cooling it could reach those temps.

Originally I was thinking the stock heatsink didn't have a strong enough fan on it to remove the heat. Thats the reason for the much higher load temps than the idle temps. It could also be that if you didn't use some arctic silver then its not transfering heat fast enough.

But then you said you overclocked and its the same temp. So I dunno... might be a combination of both.

Yes it is quite high, but that is a sweet rig you have there:). The thermalright is the best one to go for at the moment and you might want to pic up a vantech tornado 80/92mm at the same time, but they are noisy. Also welcome to the forums, i hope like most people on these forums that you start folding, we are team 32 btw, i fold under the name of freaky_folding_fanatics and would love you have you helping me.....;)

Thanks for the replies.

Like i said...i have gone from stock cooler (with as5) to a Swiftech MCX478V

The temps are the same at 3.4 as currently 3.66Ghz (215mhz FSB)

Its weird...i am not gonna reseat the new cooler cos i nearly lost my patience getting it on in the first place but i did as AS5's website says and put the grain or rice (more or less) and i have to say, when i took off the intel cooler there was a nice semi-transparrent ring of AS5 sat there...so i kinda think i am doing it right now (first attempt at intel was like a pea sized amount....way toooo much)

Just unsure....system is perfectly stable with 2 x Prime95's and 2xseti@home's running.

Am getting just over 6850 on 3dmark03 and 20100 on 3dmark01

I am just inclined to accept it the way it is....just checking with peoples opinions....

Regarding the kind invite to join the folding team...i am currently dedicating my cpus to the seti@home project...team picard...but i may change my mind

Thanks
Jamie

Thats most likely abits faulty temp readings then. Abit has everything you could want, except their temp readings are always wrong :mad:

That seems to be a general problem of the IC7-Series

My temps with the IC7
idle : 45°C
load : 53°C-56°C

BTW: I installed an temp probe next to the headspreader and it shows me temps of 40°C-45°C under load

P4 [email protected]
with Intel Stock HS or Thermaltake Spark7+

check out the Abit Forum here

thats what Abit says

Last edited:
Think i am just going to accept that i have a stable system....nicely clocked (not exteme but something) and leave it at that.....

Thanks for all input guys

Back