• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ok so, progress...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MasterCraft

test.JPG

That's currently what it's at, temps are 46c idle, 52 load

This thing will post up to 284 fsb, but NOT at 286 fsb, stops right at 4ghz

vcore - 1.5v (shows more in cpuz for some reason)
I also upped this to 1.525 for 286, and as much as 1.56, with no luck.

nbv - 1.6v (might try 1.65-1.7?)
vdimm - 2.0v (thanks batboy :D)

pci-e/pci locked at 100/33mhz

I did a bios update on batboy's suggestion. That helped ALOT. that Stopped it from giving me errors during post, allowing me to go past 250 fsb in 1:1.

Now I can't get it to repost at 4ghz, anything after that, it gives me the checksum bad, starting bios recovery, then it searches for the floppy, then the cd rom, and repeats forever. 284 fsb it posts into windows, no probs, 286 it doesn't

any ideas?

OK update, after upping the northbridge voltage to 1.65, it posts at 4 ghz, but even at 1.7, 2.1 vdimm, and as much as 1.6 vcore :eek: I get the BSOD at windows, any other ideas?

I've tried relaxing the timings, but it idn't help, so it's back at 3-2-2-8.

I really want to get this thing stable again at 4 ghz.

you want it stable at 4ghz AGAIN? what settings did you use before? your sig says it only took 1.476v to do it before, what changed?

Know Nuttin said:
what happens if you use the 17x multiplier? can you hit 4ghz with it?

I havn't tried that actually, it ran SO well at 14x when I had it at 4ghz before, I'd like to keep it there.

I'm almost positive theres some small detail im overlooking, that im gonna feel really stupid about once I figure it out, thats stopping me from getting that extra 2 fsb to boot into windows.

even at 284 fsb the temps look good, anything above that, BSOD at windows.

hUMANbEATbOX said:
you want it stable at 4ghz AGAIN? what settings did you use before? your sig says it only took 1.476v to do it before, what changed?

it would post and go into windows at 1.476, and was stable for gaming, just not prime stable due to undervolting

now that im on water, my temps are alot lower than I was on air (and will be lower again once my fans arrive) so I want to get it prime stable at 4 ghz

ok update, I played a game for over 3 hours with the new fans (which are obnoxiously loud btw)

temps are holding steady at 39C idle and 44C load, great considering how hot i usually keep it in my apartment. The fans are on about half voltage right now, turning thme all the way up yielded identical temps, maybe 1C difference idle.

I've got the vcore down to 1.425 now, palyed games on it, so it appears stable at that voltage, which is awsome. My question is now still, what keeps giving me these BSOD's above 280+ fsb

any other ideas?

I also tried the 17x multi, and it bsod's at 4ghz in windows but posts just fine, same as the 14x multi.

pcmark.JPG

This was done at 270 fsb, no temps went over 48C during the course of the test, average was 44C

I don't know how good that score is (Don't bench much)

Still want to try to get it to 4ghz.

Know Nuttin said:
I still say use the 17x and see if you can get it stable at 4ghz. If you can, then it's a chipset related problem.

I already posted that I tried the 17x multi and it BSOD'd just the same

Those i925 chipsets start to run out of gas around 285 to 290 FSB. I have the same problem with my Abit AA8XE, it'll run perfectly stable at 291, but at 292 it flakes out. Know Nuttin has a good idea about testing the limits of your CPU at the higher multiplier. For example, if it'll do 4.2 gig stable, then you'll know it's the mobo that's holding you back. There is a silver lining to the cloud if that's the situation, you'll be able to run that RAM with tight timings using the 3:4 ratio.

EDIT: I typed all that out before I saw the lasted post. It won't do 4 gig using 17X? Must be the CPU maxed out then.

batboy said:
Those i925 chipsets start to run out of gas around 285 to 290 FSB. I have the same problem with my Abit AA8XE, it'll run perfectly stable at 291, but at 292 it flakes out. Know Nuttin has a good idea about testing the limits of your CPU at the higher multiplier. For example, if it'll do 4.2 gig stable, then you'll know it's the mobo that's holding you back. There is a silver lining to the cloud if that's the situation, you'll be able to run that RAM with tight timings using the 3:4 ratio.

EDIT: I typed all that out before I saw the lasted post. It won't do 4 gig using 17X? Must be the CPU maxed out then.

CPU maxed even though I ahd it running 287 on air? but now not on water

there must be something I'm missing

Grasping at straws here. Sometimes watercooling has less case ventilation. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that N/B passively cooled? Do you remember what the load system temp was on air compared to now?

batboy said:
Grasping at straws here. Sometimes watercooling has less case ventilation. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that N/B passively cooled? Do you remember what the load system temp was on air compared to now?

it's actually cooler, because i've got 2 HUGE delta fans blowing through the radiator that also go across the motherboard.

BUT HERES THE UPDATE

I had spread spectrum set to auto, I set the CPU to 17x and disabled spread spectrum, upped my vdimm to 2.1 from 2.0, and got this...

test2.JPG

Now I tried at 240 fsb and got the BSOD...

I always understood that higher fsb and lower multi was faster than visa versa, is this at 4 ghz faster than 3.8 at 14x?

both are in 1:1

games are what matter most to me, not benching, so vary opinions on that

I didn't think to disable the spread spectrum. Don't think my Abit has that. Glad that worked for you.

If you are talking about the some CPU clock speed, then a higher FSB would give you a little higher performance. Certainly if you left the RAM ratio at 1:1 you'd have more memory bandwidth at the higher FSB. So is 4 gig using 17X better than 3.8 gig using 14X? Try 3Dmark2003 and other benchmarks to see which is better on your system.

Have you tried running the RAM at the 3:4 ratio when you are testing the 17X multiplier?

batboy said:
I didn't think to disable the spread spectrum. Don't think my Abit has that. Glad that worked for you.

If you are talking about the some CPU clock speed, then a higher FSB would give you a little higher performance. Certainly if you left the RAM ratio at 1:1 you'd have more memory bandwidth at the higher FSB. So is 4 gig using 17X better than 3.8 gig using 14X? Try 3Dmark2003 and other benchmarks to see which is better on your system.

Have you tried running the RAM at the 3:4 ratio when you are testing the 17X multiplier?

no, what would running in 3:4 get me? I always thought 1:1 was the fastest way to run your memory

Back