• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Old BIOS Question Set A: Floppy Drive as Parallel Interface??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

getslideways

Registered
Ok I have a weird one here and I am hoping someone on here may be able to point me in the right direction

First off, this is a commercial arcade game video table running an Asus P5N73-CM motherboard. Its old and outdated but have been trying to restore it so people can play it when they come over.

The problem is that when I picked it up the CMOS Battery was dead, so all the original BIOS defaults were wiped. Here is the issue, the game uses a touch interface but the interface runs off what would normally be the A: Floppy drive. As it sits the computer is expecting an A: 3.5" Floppy to be installed, but that is not the case. You can see the board plugged into the spot below via the ribbon cable:

IMG_6459.jpg

Here is the board on its own:

IMG_6467.jpg

I have never had a setup like this, so I am hoping someone can provide me with some guidance as to how to set the BIOS to inform the computer that what is plugged should be seen as a Parallel Port and not a 3.5" floppy. The hardware is all correct, and an expert familiar with these specific machines told me this is just a BIOS configuration issue due to the original CMOS battery going dead, and that I "have a simple bios setup problem. The "floppy" connection on the motherboard is actually a parallel interface."

Thanks guys and gals!

Any help would be appreciated. I can provide additional info if needed, just feel free to ask!

This is a Pokerkard machine isn't it.
Contact Spitfiremods (267) 424-3564 or email [email protected]
He has a PDF for the re-setup.

Bingo-Boingo!

Unfortunately the PDF instructions from Spitfire are $100.00, and regrettably that's well out of my price range for this project at the present time. I completely understand charging for services, as knowledge and time aren't free. People have to make a living, so I completely get it. Its just above my budget at the moment so I was looking into other options to see if I couldn't find a way to make it work.

Thanks for the reply!

Had no idea he was charging for them. Niche market. I guess he can get away with it.

It won't be just one setting. It'll be a combination of more than one.

Had no idea he was charging for them. Niche market. I guess he can get away with it.

It won't be just one setting. It'll be a combination of more than one.

Supply and demand I suppose. Any guesses on where to even start. There can only be so many combinations right?... right? haha I have only ever used the BIOS for overclocking, so this is completely new territory for me.

Just out of curiosity, how did you know my inquiry was related to a Pokerkard unit lol

I'll see if I can upload photos later, but it looks like I may have found it after talking with a family friend who used to work in the game industry:

Bios Settings

Legacy A Drive: Default (3.5") Change to "NONE"

Plug and Play: Default: (NO) Change to "YES"

PORT INTERFACE: Default: (ECP) Change to "SPP"

Thats looks to have done it. Now it loads right into the game. Its late so I haven't gone too much further to test everything, but just wanted to share the info so others in the future would have it.

Outstanding. Good you found it quickly. It would have taken me longer to figure it out.

Back