• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Old build, new ideas?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bardock

Hey guys, I upgraded my brothers system to a totally new one and was left over with his old system. Now the old system's specs are:

i7 950 Bloomfield
Gigabyte ga-x58A-UD3R
MSI gtx 550 Ti
Corsair H70
3x2GB Transcend 1333 MHz
OCZ Vertex 4

Now, I was thinking of playing around with it a little bit, OC it and have it running as a gaming machine as well. Is it capable though of doing the above? Is it worth it after all? Will I need to spend a few money on it? What do u think?

Thanks in advance! :D

EDIT: The current setup was running for 3 years now on stock clocks, with typical airflow in the case, the GPU is used for 2 years now.

Certainly capable.

Worth it.

You have enough ram, though perhaps a bit slow - maybe it will overclock. The GPU won't be great for gaming but an overclock 950 can still hold its own in a lot of titles. ;)

Hey ED, thx for the reply. I guess I can get a RAM kit,what can we do about the existing GPU though? I don't think I'm willing to spend money on getting a new GPU for this build but OC on this card doesnt sound pretty good either... :/

Id try overclocking the ram before I bought new...

Perhaps then you can sell the GPU and use some of that to fund something a bit better... 270X maybe?

@ ED, I'll test it all around then first to see how it goes.If RAM turns out to be just fine OCed then I'll sell the 550 and go for a 270X

@Witchdoctor, true but 950 is a heat monster! 135W compared to 95W of the 6100. And as far as I recall custom WB are not compatible with socket 1366 are they?

Truth is I'm tempted to make a project log with this stuff :p. Well it will give me time to make a proper Broadwell build later I guess. Now, the chip was used 3 years daily for online gaming (league of Legends, Aion, Lineage 2, CoD). I don't believe it's been... "stressed". It worked at stock clocks the whole time on a H70. Do u think any problem might jump out when I OC it? And I might be building a custom Loop for it.

i got some crucial 1333mhz ram that memtested at 1600mhz so you might get lucky and get some free speed out of the ram you got..

i was waiting for different ram to show up and was pleasantly surprised by the overclock..i wasn't even expecting the system to post

I wouldn't imagine, not fimiliar with that board though, Giga boards were typically Fail until the introduction of the OC line that came late to the party.

A used Classified or R3E probably do wonders for it

Truth is that the particular board sucks. I get post problems, needing to turn the Main power button of the PSU off and wait like 4-5 minutes.

@95Blackz, mine are Transcend... I don't know if I can get that lucky :p I know RAM is RAM, but yet....

I don't know if I can find any used Classified or R3E near me or even in my country. I'm thinking of starting this project, I really want to since it will ,most probably, be better than my current rig and I needed a solution till the Broadwells get released.Bottom line is I'm thinking something like this:

PARTS THAT WILL BE ADDED:
MOBO: Suggest something..
GPU: R9 270X (Toxic maybe..?)
RAM: Sitting with those Transcend if they OC or else going for a 2x4GB 1600MHz kit
PSU: Silverstone 500W
Cooling: Custom loop (XSPC Raystorm WB + Rads + + + )

i wasn't expecting anything from the ram. they were 2 4gb sticks i had in a dell pc.

the x58 rampage motherboards are still fetching a pretty penny on ebay..

If the motherboard is acting up on you it would be wise to upgrade it. The ASUS http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P6X58DE/ P6X58DE was a decent board that was reviewed well and recommended over the much more expensive R3F board by OC3D on youtube. That channel is usually spot on with its recommendations.

The board I'm suggesting was only about $220 CDN when it came out so shouldn't cost too much these days. It'll get that chip to 4Ghz if the chip is willing. You'll need a decent heatsink like a NHD14 (make sure it's the classic model with a 1366 mount)...

@ Witchdoctor, welp I was considering an upgrade with an 4670k and a z97 board to be ready for the Broadwell's release. This would be a temporary solution ,till Broadwell,if it needed like ~100€ to spend on, since it performs better than my current rig. But now i'm seriously considering just playing a bit around with it and selling it (OCed or not)

@ocnoob http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASUS-P6X58D...2?pt=UK_Motherboards_CPUs&hash=item418198cb62

around 69 Euroes and he includes an i7 920. Seems too good to be true...

I would either sell the whole thing off as is and start saving for an entirely new build. Or switch some parts out from your system into this one and then sell yours. Put your video cards and maybe the ram in it, get a mild OC on the cpu, and it should run pretty nice until your ready for a whole new setup.

Back