• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Old laptop vs new PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

yaiie

Hey guys,

When SWTOR was coming out last year I went out and bought a new "gaming laptop." Up until these last few months I had preferred a laptop over a desktop.

When I played SWTOR I could never go above medium settings without major issue... My goal with my new build is to be able to max it out (and from what I've read it shouldn't be that much of an issue...) But it makes me wonder what the issue was with my original pc.

These are the "recommended" specs for SWTOR

CPU: AMD Phenom 2 X4 Quad-core 2.5GHz or better / Intel Core 2Quad Processor 2.4GHz or better.
8x DVD-ROM or faster.
VIDEO: ATI/AMD Radeon HD 4850 or better* / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 or better* / *512 minimum video RAM / *Shader 3.0 or better fully compatible graphics card.

These are the specs of my then laptop

BrandASUSModelG53SX-NH71

CPU
CPU TypeIntel Core i7CPU Speed2670QM(2.20GHz)CPU Support6MB L3 Cache

Display
Screen Size15.6"Wide Screen SupportYesResolution1920 x 1080LCD FeaturesLED backlight

Operating Systems
Operating SystemWindows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

Graphics
GPU/VPUNVIDIA GeForce GTX 560MVideo MemoryDedicated 2GBGraphic TypeDedicated Card

Hard Drive
HDD500GBHDD RPM7200rpm

Memory
Memory8GBMemory SpeedDDR3 1333Memory Type204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMMMemory Slot (Total)4

Optical Drive
Optical Drive TypeDL DVD±RW/CD-RWOptical Drive InterfaceIntegrated

Communications
WLAN802.11b/g/n Wireless LANBluetoothBluetooth 3.0

Ports
USB3 x USB 2.0
1 x USB 3.0Video Port1 x VGAHDMI1 x HDMIAudio Ports1 x Microphone jack; 1 x Headphone jack

Supplemental Drive
Card Reader1 x 4 in 1 card reader: SD,MMC,MS,MS-ProWebcam2.0M Pixel

Power
Battery8-cell lithium ion

Why do you think it had such harsh fps? At mid settings i'd bounce around 30-60 but as soon as the action started it'd tank. (that's only at mid settings with certain settings cranked lowwwww.)

My new pc (just waiting on the case which will be here tomorrow.) Is...

Phantom 410
I5 3570 3.8ghz
Asrock Extreme 4
8gbs ddr3 1600mhz (2x4)
thermaltake spinq vt cooler
gigabyte amd radeon 7970 coreclock 1000 MHz
corsair tx850 psu
Samsung ssd

Initially I made the mistake of assuming the laptop would be enough. I read the settings and "thought" I knew enough to make an informed decision... I was mistaken! This time around I made sure to ask questions, take my time and make an informed decision.

But even here today... I just want to know how/what the laptop was missing in the specs department to play that game comfortable... Preferable on higher settings.

Thanks guys!

Your new computer should do amazing on SWTOR, my GTX 670 gets 100FPS with all settings maxxed.

You're GTX 560m couldn't handle it well on medium? I wonder how my GTX 580m laptop would do, Q_Q

Your new computer should do amazing on SWTOR, my GTX 670 gets 100FPS with all settings maxxed.

You're GTX 560m couldn't handle it well on medium? I wonder how my GTX 580m laptop would do, Q_Q

That's reassuring!!!

The laptop I had to pick and choose my settings... Once I tried everything on high (after using low/medium for so long) thought how beautiful it was...

Until I tried to walk... Much less cast an attack.

Needless to say I had to turn my settings back down.
It was such a drag :(

Back