• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Old member, new build... 5900x & Strix 3090 build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

00MJR

As the title shows, I just finished a build and I'm deciding to make a OCn walk-through as I go. It might take some time to update and finalize this thread but I think it'll be helpful for others in case they need help with Zen 3 CPUs, particularly the 5900x.

Cheers and Happy gaming!

To start off, this is going to be an unorganized mess before I'm finished. I'm going to make notes, share thoughts, add benchmarks, etc as I go through this new experience, so please be patient! I was thinking of doing this offline and then sharing it all at once on here but I don't know the best path for OCn a 5900x nor the best way of showing everyone on here, so it is what it is.

Pending
Stock performance measures.
RAM / FCLK overclocking.

Last edited:
RAM Overclocking(MT/s, Primary, Secondary, Tertiary Timings) & FCLK Overclocking(Infinity Fabric)

RAM Overclocking

I've dug around allot on this subject and there's lots of information to digest. I'll share on here the important documents, software, and procedures that will help with tweaking the memory for the best MT/s speed and timings(latency = ns).
From many benchmarks from others out on the web, I've been noticing a pattern between the memory's MT/s rate(yes MT/s, not MHz) and infinity fabric speed.
  1. Make sure you're leaving the infinity fabric, UCLK, and memory transfer rates at a 1:1:1 ratio. When they're "out of sync" you'll get reduced performance.
  2. The sweet spot I'm shooting for is a memory rate of 3800 MT/s, a UCLK of 1900Mhz, and a FCLK of 1900MHz.
To be continued...

UCLK(North Bridge Clock) = Same as FCLK(Infinity Fabric)
Both UCLK & FCLK values should be half the memory MT/s rate. Lots of explaining to do to organize the MT vs MHz vs DDR vs Memory topic... pending

This would be awesome if you put all of the results/advice and organized it in the first post (eventually). Depending on how long this gets, it could be a royal PITA to look for all the tidbits. :)

GL with 3800 1:1. Not many boards will do that... 3600/3733 is the end of the road for most boards. ;)

Yea the first post will contain the finalized information. I'll probably just add comments for each section then delete them after I've reworked it all.

I'm short on time these days(kid, work, etc) so I'm doing what I can when I can. Lol to bad I'm not a kid anymore lol probably have this down in a week. I suspect a month now

As for 3800, I booted last night with all custom tinings but I did find some interesting things about my MSI Unify motherboard and/or XMP. Either the XMP Profile is triggering the change or my motherboard is doing it but .. my soc and vddg voltages change to 1.1V(1100 mV) and vddp stays on auto. So I've been using my PC with 1100V without issues. This is another topic to cover since many seem to freak out(myself included) about voltages allot.

That brings up another thing I noticed last night... DRAM Voltage will run 200mV over what's actually set in the BIOS... which then makes me question if the SoC and vddg/vddp voltages are over compensating too. I haven't touch any of the load line, etc options, which there's allot now!

I keep forgetting that Ryzen Master(RM) will shows these values, though I've seen some posts show inaccurate readings reporting.

I'll add this to my do list tonight which is as follows;
1. Do a handful of stock memory/cpu benchmarks.
2. Check what RM is reading for SoC, VDDG, VDDP and compare to the UEFI.
3. If all is going smooth at this point.. I'll then push in these settings(see attachments)... I'll give lots more details to the mem OC after tonight's tasks

FAST 3800.png
SAFE 3800.png

Soooo ryzen master does a better job at reporting the correct voltages.

Tonight I'll record stock benchmarks and then apply manual settings with FCLK and MEM @ 3800.

Let me know if of any benchmarks worth doing.

Reasons I'm shooting for 3800 MT/1900/1900

Besides the many other OC charts I've seen.. here's a good article showing that 3800 is a good starting point and may be the only FCLK / RAM OC I'll attempt. Seems vulcan can benefit from a 4000 /4200 FCLK but when used on non vulcan the fps drops behind 3800.. so IMO 3800 is the sweet spot for zen 3

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3508-ryzen-3000-memory-benchmark-best-ram-fclk-uclock-mclock

Finally will start testing the OCn tonight. Last few nights I've been running allot of benchmarks, so I have many before and afters to compare.

Anyways, happy weekend.

Some tips as you may find problems:
1. 4 memory modules usually cause problems at more than DDR4-3600. Still, good luck with 3800 as it sometimes works.
2. With Hynix IC try 16-19-19 and higher voltage to check how high it will go at these timings. Typically, 3600 16-19-19 1.35-1.40V, 3733 16-19-19 1.35-1.45V, 3800 16-19-19 1.40-1.50V or 16-20-20 ... or 16-21-21 1.40-1.50V.
3. When you leave anything at auto then the motherboard will adjust voltages and timings. The same XMP affects some voltages but mostly main timings.
4. Check mem try it or other profiles on your motherboard. There are various settings that may work with your memory kit. Most are for Samsung but some are for Hynix too.
5. Cinebench R23 seems good for CPU tests. It runs longer tests in a loop. For anything else can try Prime95 or AIDA64. AIDA64 also for bandwidth/latency tests.
6. On X570 Unify you can keep most voltages and timings at auto and it adjusts them pretty well up to DDR4-5000+. I recommend starting from that and later one by one adjusting all settings when you stabilize your desired memory/IMC/FCLK frequency. At least this motherboard sets a bit higher voltages but usually not much higher than required.

I guess you won't test it or don't even need it, but you can be surprised how the 1:2 ratio works at a higher memory frequency. This is usually skipped on the forums as people just repost other user's settings. However, for good results at 1:2, you need RAM that runs at DDR4-4800+ and quite low timings.

Last edited:
Please read this post entirely before responding please...

I got the system into windows with the slow timings sheet above, but my mouse would stutter/freeze, for an instant, every 5 or so seconds. I did try the fast timings first, but I had to reset cmos.

So I think the system is capable, I just need to reset my approach and see what happen

I'm running into two annoyances..
1. My MSI Unify BIOS basically has two separate OCn sections. There's the main OC window that's reached via the main page and then there's AMDs overclocking section. I can't remember which atm, but one seems to take the values dram calc displays while the other does a mix of all the weird input values. Example.. rather than just a number it'll have the ohms values and whatnot.

2. My BIOS has basically 4 tRFC input fields. tRFC, tRFC1, tRFC2, tRFC4. Not sure how I'm suppose to input values into this when the dram calculator only provides one number... Though I see on the "additional calculators" page of dram calculator, it has a tRFC calc.. do I use this?

All I've done so far is... Manually plug in "slow" timings above. I kept dividers at 1.1.1 and dram voltage at 1.4v. booted into windows. Mouse stutters. I haven't bench marked or stressed it yet.

After this I ran out of time and reset my default XMP data, so I could enjoy some games.

Woomack thanks for the info.

One question so far...
1. I'm scrapping my progress and will restart with your recommendations.. I'm going to try your recommended 16-19-19 @ 1.4-1.5... but do I just...
OK I know I need to adjust the following...

1. Adjust dram voltage to 1.4v, enter primaries as 16-19-19-39, manually enter 1900 FCLK and 1900 uCLK. Adjust/Leave the SoC, VDDP, VDDG voltages at the values XMP uses?​
    BUT do I load XMP first or leave XMP out of this?​

I'm looking for the two different BIOS pages in the manual so I can show you guys the AMD OC menu vs the MSI OC menu. When you change values in one section it does change them in the other... As for memory timings, I think I need to stay away from the section that actually shows/adjusts the timings in NS... and this would be the AMD section..

OK.. from what I understand... There's the OC page thats MSIs OCn menu... then there's the AMD Overclocking menu(under settings > advanced) and this is a part of AMDs AGESA code? Which to use? MSI's OC page is easier to adjust DRAM timings but AGESA is easier to SoC, VDDP, VDDG, adjustments. I guess I could use both. Use one for each different thing and don't mixed identical settings.

Last edited:
I would work at 3600/1800, if you drop the frequency a bit it'll likely work much better. I have had a few Ryzen and most of the time 3600/1800 is where I sit. When really pushing things 1900 fclck/memclck will usually score worse which to me is instability
You can usually take BIOS pics with a FAT32 USB and F12 while in BIOS

I already run 3600MT/s @ 16-19-19-36 @1.35v XMP1 stable. 1:1:1

So I either keep it at 3600/1800/1800 and try to tighten timings or I loosen up and try going 3800

I already run 3600MT/s @ 16-19-19-36 @1.35v XMP1 stable. 1:1:1

So I either keep it at 3600/1800/1800 and try to tighten timings or I loosen up and try going 3800

That's up to you and how much time you want to put into it. Just from my experience 3900X would boot and run 1900, 5950X same setting RAM etc. won't even post requires a CMOS Clr but runs 3600 16-16-16 without issue

Some tips as you may find problems:
1. 4 memory modules usually cause problems at more than DDR4-3600. Still, good luck with 3800 as it sometimes works.
2. With Hynix IC try 16-19-19 and higher voltage to check how high it will go at these timings. Typically, 3600 16-19-19 1.35-1.40V, 3733 16-19-19 1.35-1.45V, 3800 16-19-19 1.40-1.50V or 16-20-20 ... or 16-21-21 1.40-1.50V.
3. When you leave anything at auto then the motherboard will adjust voltages and timings. The same XMP affects some voltages but mostly main timings.
4. Check mem try it or other profiles on your motherboard. There are various settings that may work with your memory kit. Most are for Samsung but some are for Hynix too.
5. Cinebench R23 seems good for CPU tests. It runs longer tests in a loop. For anything else can try Prime95 or AIDA64. AIDA64 also for bandwidth/latency tests.
6. On X570 Unify you can keep most voltages and timings at auto and it adjusts them pretty well up to DDR4-5000+. I recommend starting from that and later one by one adjusting all settings when you stabilize your desired memory/IMC/FCLK frequency. At least this motherboard sets a bit higher voltages but usually not much higher than required.

I guess you won't test it or don't even need it, but you can be surprised how the 1:2 ratio works at a higher memory frequency. This is usually skipped on the forums as people just repost other user's settings. However, for good results at 1:2, you need RAM that runs at DDR4-4800+ and quite low timings.

Hey Woomack

Those settings above with XMP on or off? And all other settings auto?

Not sure if it matters... But I left XMP Profile 1 enabled. Like Woomack said it seems the XMP Profile is only applying the primary timings, which are 16-19-19-39 @1.35v.

I then set Uclk to 1900, dram frequency to "3800" and flck to 1900. Dram voltage set to 1.38v in BIOS, since it shows in Win10 at 1.40.. weird that ryzen shows 1.38v

I've ran a AIDA64 CACHE AND MEM BENCHMARK successfully and things have improved. I'm going to disable XMP and see what it's actually changing to be sure and may just disable it and enter things in manually...

I have the dram voltage

I'm going to take some screenshots of hwinfo and ryzen master when comparing stock 2133 ram, 3600 ram and 3800 ram.

Want to show you a voltage changing that I want to make sure is safe...

Back