• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Old School question on installing windows 2000

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

(G{in}[AK)TION]

So i have a copy of windows 2000 pro that i wanted to install on a dual socket pentium 3 desktop that has a geforce 7800 inside of it.

Why windows 2000? Because i want to.

now in the past i remember installing windows 2000 small business server on another dual socket penitum 3 and it installed fine. no problems whatsoever.

But tonight, i am trying to use my cd copy of windows 2000 pro to install on a dual socket pentium 3 and it wont go. it copies the files but does not get to setup instead showing a BSOD with the code "C0000249".

the CD clearly states that the "1-2 Processor Edition" so this should clearly work "right out of the box" right? or do i need to remove a pentium 3 processor, install win2k, make a MPS change in windows settings, and then install the second processor?

90% of the time when you get a BSOD on install, it's the RAM. Run Memtest 86+ from a CD or thumb drive and test the RAM. I'm sure that you'll find your problem there.

to go into more detail, i did install two of the processors right before the install. they are both the same in specification and speed.

First install was attempted on a Tyan S2518. bsod with the "C0000249 (up/mp image mismatch)". second attempt was then done on a Super Micro P3TDDE. still the same error code even with ISO different images.

This happens regardless if i use the RIS method or CD install method. I did install windows 2000 in a VM to make sure it was not the disc and it installed just fine. So i know my CD copy of windows 2000 is OK.

Known working hardware?, or jumper you need to enable dual processors?
Because HAL on your install is only seeing 1 CPU on a dual board. That's why it's balking.

But in the error message it's states that ntdll.dll is currently for use in a uniprocessor system and not a multiprocessor system even though the CD clearly states "1-2 processor".

As for enabling the second cpuI don't see any jumpers or settings about enabling the second cpu. It's either installed or not installed if you want the second cpu enabled.

I went ahead and took the second pentium 3 processor out. After windows 2000 finished installed, I found that it already had the multiprocessor driver installed anyway.

I installed the second pentium 3 and now all appears to be good. Gotta be a better way to install win2k without doing this whole process.

Not necessarily. I had a similar problem years ago on a dual xeon system, and used the same solution you did. You'll have to remember that w2k was a pretty stable OS, but was still in MS's finicky age of easy hardware/software implementation.

If you plan on running 2 processors, you need to do your OS install with 2 processors. Same with XP Pro if you were to use it.
Are you sure this is right about xp? I have a single processor image we deploy to almost everything with 1 and 2 processors everything from p4s to dual e5620 xeons with no problems. :confused:

Do you have installed the uniprocessor or multiprocessor version of XP?
Uniprocessor systems have as kernel ntoskrnl.exe, while multiprocessor systems have ntkrnlmp.exe in C:\WINDOWS\system32.
Also in Device Manager, expand Computer. You should see "ACPI Multiprocessor PC". If you're seeing "Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC" then this is wrong.
What do you see?
If either of the above two checks are wrong, you'll have to reinstall XP.

Do you have installed the uniprocessor or multiprocessor version of XP?
Uniprocessor systems have as kernel ntoskrnl.exe, while multiprocessor systems have ntkrnlmp.exe in C:\WINDOWS\system32.
Also in Device Manager, expand Computer. You should see "ACPI Multiprocessor PC". If you're seeing "Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC" then this is wrong.
What do you see?
If either of the above two checks are wrong, you'll have to reinstall XP.
I have ntoskrnl.exe in my windows\system32 and taskmgr still shows all 16 cores from my dual xeon 5620 system. :confused:

Back