• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Older intel Xeon's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Madmike2

Hi guys. Does anyone remember much about the older 533 FSB xeon's? We have an end of life dell 1600 with a single 1.8 Ghz 533 FSB xeon in it. It is currently a network monitor and AV server. It is getting thrashed, i.e it is constantly at 60% plus cpu usage, spiking to 100%.

One of our brother members here on overclockers has a flock of 2.4 Ghz Xeons. I am just wondering if it will be a great improvement to put 2 of these on the Board or should i go out and buy 3.06 Chips instead. The Company is not going to spend a lot right now in this economy but dropping a few bucks to triple performance on that thing would be a no brainer.

Any informed thoughts?

:beer:

270305302273. Here is the item number for a matching set of 3.06 xeons on fleabay for $25.00 and free shipping you cant beat that. 28 days left.

Ooo. Very Nice. I think i will bid those as well. I bought the 2.4's off Willangford tonight so we will see what those two can do. I am hoping for a decent to significant improvement over the solo 1.8ghz, even on a platform thats this old. :santa:

I am hoping for a decent to significant improvement over the solo 1.8ghz, even on a platform thats this old.

Yeah, I think you might notice a bit of a boost. :D

Although, those 3.06 chips lokie mentioned are the lower end 512KB cache type, might be worth tracking down a couple 1MB cache variants (these, maybe?), as cache made a big difference on the Netburst chips. Or if you're really adventurous, there was a 3.20ghz 2MB cache chip available in 533fsb. Good luck finding one of those, though... much less two of 'em.

I bid on those now as well. I am starting to think that if i can get those two 3.06/533 i might be able to not only run it as a network monitor, anti-virus server but i will be able to use that giant box as a Storage unit as well now. I feel like i am Sylvester Stalloning that Dell. Some GH and steroids and i can keep it fresh looking for ages. :clap:

Lol. there ya go draw first blood. Yeah you should be able to get those no problem i dont think anyone will bid against you if you are lucky. Good luck.:thup:

Here is a question i did not ask. Do these upgrades require a regulator? I know some old systems had modules. I dont remember seeing any VRM on this board when last we had it opened up. :bang head

Back