• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Oldie but goodie: NF7-S and Barton-M 2600+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
This was a fun board to overclock. I must have tried about 30 different modded BIOS. I liked Tic Tac's Black Mantaray the best.

Ok, thanks for all the nice words and recommendations. But right now, all I want to know is: What in god's name do I have to do to get Windows 7 installed? Do you guys think getting a new SATA controller might fix the problem? And how comes setup doesn't even recognize my USB ports? This is killing me...

:rain:

Use the Win7 to upgrade or you will have to use the sata drivers from XP or Vista. It is very hard to install because drivers were never written for the sata chipset. I had to install Vista and upgrade from there to get the raid working. Oh by the way 7-3-3-2.5 is as fast as any ram will run on that platform. Other settings might work but they will be slower because it needs the wait cycles to fully read the data.

On 9/11/2001 I just picked up a new bios chip for the NF7-S stopped for gas and saw the news.
NF7-S had best onboard sound
Still have the NF7-S with a ocz power thing to raise the memory voltage higher up.

Use the Win7 to upgrade or you will have to use the sata drivers from XP or Vista. It is very hard to install because drivers were never written for the sata chipset. I had to install Vista and upgrade from there to get the raid working. Oh by the way 7-3-3-2.5 is as fast as any ram will run on that platform. Other settings might work but they will be slower because it needs the wait cycles to fully read the data.

Everything I have read, and have been told, says that on an nforce2 board tRAS should be 11 for best performance.

Everything I have read, and have been told, says that on an nforce2 board tRAS should be 11 for best performance.
Easiest way to tell is to run Everest home edition. 7-3-3-2.5 will usually run higher MHZ than tighter timings. When both crap out the 7-3-3-2.5 will have higher bench scores. I ran 5-2-3-2 memory (had to flash SPD to get 2.5) at the looser timings because it was actually faster.

Good times, I had a 2600+ that I ran at 2.7ghz on 1.95vcore 24/7 for about 8 months. Then one day it crashed and was never stable again. Its the only chip I have ever killed by overclocking. I've just thrown it out actaully. I was hanging onto it thinking it might be fun to resurect one day, but in the end it wasn't worth the space it took up. Pitty!

Oh man, just looked up some of my old posts on it. I was nuts back then, it was old tech when I was using it. anyway, here is a useful link if you havn't found it already http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=324662&highlight=2600

Somewhere I have a CPUZ shot of it running 2.7. I think I could boot it at 2.9 but never remotely stable.

Last edited:
When I was cleaning the spare room and decieding to junk NF7-S only missing the hd
I should remove the OCZ Platinum sticks and dump it.

Im in NY, if your dumping it, Ill take it off your hands.

I will hold it and email you.
Its in a old worn case missing case parts .
I think there a ati 800xtpe vivo on it,best agp I owned.
I cant remember what chip is under the Thermalright hsf.
There is a zalman on the nb and a power supply.
I also have gigabite mb with a spare chip less battery free

It was only used for a few months before 939 came out.

First off: Thanks for the help! My exams have started a few days ago so I didn't have much time to care of my problem. I think I'll try and burn this optimized nForce2 driver pack to a CD and install it when prompted by the Win7 setup.

Oh by the way 7-3-3-2.5 is as fast as any ram will run on that platform. Other settings might work but they will be slower because it needs the wait cycles to fully read the data.

Thanks for the hint, I'll test it!

Awesome, so it does work! Thanks, can't wait to try it! Unfortunately, I won't be near that PC for another two weeks...

PS: You guys are great, asking for help in here definitely was the right decision!

Are you using the chipset drivers that come with XP or the optimized ones I've mentioned?

I took a look at the optimized ones and didnt see anything that really would make me try them. So I just use the latest ones by Nvidia, and I manually updated the AC97' codec from Realtek...that seems to have fixed all my audio issues.

Ahh this thread brings back some good ole' memories!! I loved my NF7-S!! I wouldn't recommend any of the "optimized" driver packages either. I had problems with them as well. I ran my 3200 XP chip at 2.6Ghz all day long with a SI-97 as well. I used Merlin's BIOS'es, as I didn't have much luck with Taipain ones... just my opinion. I'm glad to see you've got it up and going :D Maybe you should try vlite to make a custom Win 7 ISO with all your drivers pre-loaded? That might make the install process easier...

According to the readme, the optimized driver package simply consist of newer versions of the regular drivers plus a customized PATA/SATA driver. I don't think anything could go wrong with that, but we'll see...

If you have the XP sata drives, you can install in IDE mode, install chipset drivers, reboot.

Open device manager, go to storage controller. Right click and update driver (point to extracted SATA drivers) finish install restart

Go into BIOS and set RAID mode.

At least that method works for me when I run XP on bench rigs that I do not have a slipstreamed SATA XP disk for :)

The same will not work for 7, as there are registry changes that need to be made as well.

Thanks for the hint, but I think I'll just install the SATA driver from a CD.

Back