• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Oldie but goodie: NF7-S and Barton-M 2600+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The good news: I've managed to install Windows 7 by downloading the latest SATA driver from the Silicon Image website (controller is a Sil 3112) and installing it when prompted. Windows didn't install the SM bus driver correctly, so I downloaded and installed it manually. Everything is running fine, at least according to the device manager. However...

The bad news: Browsing the web feels laggy as hell, especially when watching 720p videos on YouTube. Task manager is showing almost 100% CPU usage! Any ideas? (And yes, I've installed the latest ForceWare driver.)

:(

Edit: Ok, next issue: After some research, I found out that the culprit could be WDDM 1.1, (which is part of all ForceWare versions for Win7) and that this problem can be solved by installing version 182.50 for Vista (which still uses WDDM 1.0). I tried to do so and got the following error:

Code:
Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

Last edited:
Long story short: After endless hours of testing and experimenting I've decided to go back to XP. It runs much smoother on my system.
I have to say I'm really disappointed by the CPU's performance... I knew its architecture is crappy compared to today's standarts, but that crappy?! It doesn't even allow me to watch SD videos on Gamespot or Gametrailers because it simply can't handle the amount of flash code that is used on websites like these. And even watching a 360p video on YouTube becomes impossible when, let's say, WinRAR is extracting files in the background.

PS: I've enabled dual channel mode.

Flash is dirty code, and the only saving grace of it, is HW acceleration if your system supports it.

Flash and Java are designed so that even a n00b can program in it. The problem is, n00bs program in them.

I have some G-Skill that will run 2-2-2-5 @ 200mhz or it can also do 3-3-3-7 @ 275 mhz. It was a very famous model of RAM to get at the time. Do you want it? It's 2x512 and it cost me $300 back in the day lol. I have a Barton chip as well, but no Socket A board to run it in.

NF7-S - Electrolytic capacitor C475.

Hello,
Interested in possibly using one of these Mobos to put together a NAS box. Does anyone know what electrolytic capacitor C475 should be at all please as the originally fitted capacitor is missing from the Mobo. Thank you.

Back