• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

onboard Raid question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

saxile

My cat killed my motherboard :facepalm: and I was running onboard raid with a MSI 790FX-GD70 and my question is do I need to get the same motherboard or will any AMD motherboard with onboard raid read my array?

U should be able to move up to an 890 chipset board since the 750 and 850 southbridges are pretty much the same. I am not very familiar with the 990 chipset and how its' southbridge compares to the 750 southbridge.

U must already have a mobo with sb600 since I certainly hope you are not going backwards in chipset with a 'purchase' of mobo. Try it and see since am guessing U already have the mobo.

nah, I can get one on the cheap and short on cash right now, wasn't expecting a cat to fall out of my window and pull a water cooling hose out of a compression fitting. I only use my computer to surf the net anymore so not worried about power so much anymore, have ps3 and xbox 360 to game.

Here you about the coins thing. I am guessing you might find a 790 chipset board on the cheap and that surely will work. When you hook the drives up they should be in roughly the same port order as on the dead board. And the array should be recognized immediately since you went into the bios BEFORE hooking up any drives and enabled RAID. Then shutdown and hook-up the raid drives. IF you have to do anything in the raid bios/GUI setup, then there is an issue is my suspicion.

Back