• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Onboard soundcard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kylesims

Alright, so, just built my rig back in January. Gigabyte 990fx-ud5 board. I'm using the onboard audio currently, via a Logitech G35 headset. It's USB.

Two issues with it.. First, there seems to be some cracking and popping when listening to music that I didn't hear on my old rig. I don't know if my headsets blown, or if its the stock audio drivers. I'm.. Not sure how good the stock drivers are.

Second issue is, during certain games - Particularly Tomb Raider as that's the one I'm playing - The sound just seems crappy, when its louder sounds. Explosions and that sort of thing... Again, it almost sounds like the speakers are blown, but I know some of that could be due to lower end drivers.

Anyone have any insight on how good the stock audio is? Or, is it far more likely that it's the headset?

If it's the soundcard, I don't have an issue with buying an aftermarket one to fix it.. I've had issues with Creative cards in the past, but I can go over those if that ends up being the route I take.

Otherwise, I can replace the headset through the retailer.. Which, I'll probably due anyways just to be on the safe side.

Still, any tips, advice, insight? Thanks in advance.

If it connects via USB, it isn't using your onboard sound, it has a sound card built into the headset. If you are using a front USB connection, try a back one or a different port. Honestly, I'd just return it and get one that plugs in via a 3.5mm jack.

Mm. It might just be blown speakers, then. Never had any quality issues out of it before.

A better description of the sound, is like.. When your computer tries to make to -much- sound, and so the controller starts spazzing.

Though, I didn't know USB meant it had its own 'card' built in.. thought it still ran off the drivers in the computer. Hm. My only issue with 3.5mm headphones, and it's not really an issue with them persey, is that I'm a picky headphoner. Finding ones that I like the feel of and can wear for extended periods of time takes some work.

Back