• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

One Decade since building my last PC!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gize73

Hello everyone,

It's been so long since i've been here I couldn't even use my old username and email anymore. I have spent the last week or so reading up and re-educating myself on building a PC after 10 years. Would really appreciate you all's advice as waaaay too much is new now and I am kind of lost. My goal is a gaming PC and medium to strong overclocking. Here is a quick idea of what I am looking at building. Any Advice? Any compatibility screw-ups or bottlenecks with these parts? Your advice is much appreciated!

https://newegg.io/47cf721

In the same boat as you! After much research I landed with a similar build:

MSI MEG Z490 Unify
Intel i7-10700K
Noctua NH-D15 CHROMAX.BLACK
32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 - 3600 CL14 -
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance - MODDED -
3x Noctua NF-A14 CHROMAX.BLACK 140mm
4x be quiet! Silent Wings 3 120mm
ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe - R/W 3500/3000 -
Super Flower Leadex 850W 80+ Titanium

Went with this ram kit because it runs a 3600 CL14, which is the apparent sweet spot and was certified to work with the Unify mobo. Also has a built in XMP profile for timings and speeds. Just set it and forget it: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VGJGKX1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
Gize73, I think you could get away with a 700-750w PSU instead of the 850w. This one at Best Buy seems to be a good alternative if you are in the US. A 10 year warranty!

What resolution & hz monitor will you be running? That will make a difference in some of your picks.

You'd better reckon with the fact that overclocking ain't what it used to be. Both AMD and Intel bin their chips pretty close to the edge these days. And in a gaming scenario, you might not get the best performance by overclocking as opposed to letting the built-in algorithm for power management dynamically adjust voltages and frequencies.

Thanks Blackstar. I am looking at your build and comparing to mine. You've got me looking into CL 14 ram now, so thank for that.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

JLK, good question on the monitor. I decided on this one (GIGABYTE G34WQC 34" 144Hz Curved Gaming Monitor, 3440 x 1440 VA) to get me by for a couple years since it's so cheap I won't feel bad upgrading to full 4k when cards are pushing it a little better in a couple to 3 years. I plan on cranking this I5 up hopefully to 5ghz, so I was erroring on the side of caution on the power supply. Thanks for the advice.

Back