• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Online retailers of windows??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MunkyTOS

Hey OC'ers,

I am looking to install a fresh copy of Windows 7 or Windows 8 (Still not sure about changing to Windows 8 yet). I will not be upgrading the system from Windows 7 so I need a full version of the OS and not an upgrade package. I am looking to find a reliable seller of the operating system with the ability to just download it, burn it and install versus having a physical copy shipped to me. My three questions are as follows:

Does anyone know of a place to fulfill my needs?

Also is it worth it to go for Windows 8? My computer is used probably 90% for gaming and the other 10% is web browsing. My system specs are listed below and I just dont know which is more suitable, if either is better than the other.

Lastly I noticed on the M$ website that they sell the OS for a good chunk more than anyone else i've seen, is there an actual reason for this and/or benefit to doing so?

Thanks in advance guys!

Not sure about download versions of Win7... I typically buy system builder/oem versions from Newegg. It wouldn't take long to ship to you and eliminate the headache of burning it.

I have played with windows 8 and did not like it.... That is just my personal opinon. As far as performance goes, the difference is negligible.

The full retail versions cost more because you can install them on multiple computers.

Well the main reason for me wanting to download is convenience. Was hoping to get some maintenance work done on my PC this weekend. With it being Friday, it would put a delay on that so I figured I'd ask if there were any reliable sites.

For what it's worth, you can find the ISOs for most products on Microsoft's site. You can download and burn, and install, and then activate once your key arrives from whatever retailer you chose. Just make sure that the ISO you download is the same that you purchase (Specifically Pro, ultimate, home, etc.. x86/x64 doesn't matter for keys, and neither does language IIRC)

Back