• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

onmobo LAN now out, BIOS&/or hardware, what to do?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gamefan

Onboard 82547EI LOM is gone from my P4C800CED mobo

I had my BIOS reflashed to the latest one for me and my onboard Intel 82547EI Gigabit ethernet controller LOM isn't showing up anymore in my S478 Asus P4C800-E Deluxe mobo list of hardware.

I tried setting changes inside the BIOS, and nope, including the Onboard LAN boot ROM option (on/off), and disabling other things like 1394. In win XP Pro 32-bit I tried add new hardware, and (incl. latest added today!-can't be) LAN drivers, but they don't install unless the hardware is there, which it ain't in device manager no more. Curiously the LAN driver option on the mobo CD doesn`t even show up anymore (that`s the way its supposed to act). I have already installed the latest .inf chipset driver from the asus.com page, but not the last Intel (if I could even nail that one down). I just installed Xp Pro, but I don't think re-installing it would help. There are 2 lights (solid orange) beside the jack but thats only when the cat5e is plugged in, nothing when not. I have a feeling its a BIOS/hardware thing, but wonder what could be done to get it back. There ae lots of stories, no two the same, but I think theres no one solution, but I still believe there is hope. Any ideas.

I have just had someone bring the BIOS back to life. He wrote the newest (latest official version). Its now 1023. Its the same PLCC chip though. I already had the LAN working with 1021 BIOS before so I don't think its the (new) version problem. The whole mobo was acting flakey and it eventually folded it in completely. It was out of all power (wall & 2032 batt) for a few months and disconnected from components.

BTW, so if I now short the CRL CMOS jumper pins/unplug/ batt out 30 mins. to try to shock it back all together, will it still be written with the 1023 BIOS version as I have just had it done to? Everything else seems to work now! Immediately previously (before fixed with 1023) it was endlessly cycling searching CD/floppy for *.ROM BIOS file and I took it to a "BIOS guy" (who I think jacked it in his mobo (he only had the wrong BIOS chip writter machine) . I don't know if it is even running w/ or w/o a boot block now or even what that means! Is it even safe to CLR CMOS?

Last edited:
Back