• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Opinions on overclocking an AMD-4100

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Allan W

Ok, my rig is an AMD FX-4100 with a Zalman (aftermarket) cooler/fan, MOBO Asrock 970 Extreme3, 600 Watt Power supply, Nvidia GEForce GTX 650 Ti (with 1 Gig Mem and stock cooler), 6 Gigs dual- channel RAM; running Windows 7 SP 1. I am running AXTU to monitor speed/performance- shows my CPU speed 4367 MHZ, CPU ratio 21.0, HT Bus speed 2704.00 MH, CPU freq. 208 MHz, NB speed 2080 MH, CPU temp 41C/105F, MOBOTemp 31C/89F under moderate load ((running my game of the month, Sins of A Solar Empire Rebellion). Looking for input; how close I might be to the 'ragged edge', and what (if any) changes I should make to settings, to maybe get a bit faster, but still stable. Maybe a stronger PSU? Thanks.

In more detail...

Model number : FX-4100
CPU part numbers:
FD4100WMW4KGU is an OEM/tray microprocessor
FD4100WMGUSBX is a boxed microprocessor

Frequency: 3600 MHz
Turbo frequency:
3700 MHz (more than 2 cores)
3800 MHz (2 cores or less)

Thermal Design Power : 95 Watt but that will not be power draw when >> my CPU speed 4367 MHZ, because increasing cpu clock speed will increase power needed to be displaced by the cpu into heat.

Zalman (aftermarket) cooler/fan >> Not very descriptive since the model number and fan
CFM would have been much more informative when talking about an overclock.

CPU temp 41C/105F, MOBOTemp 31C/89F >> We most generally use HWMonitor Free version to allow all of us to be on the same page of an overclocking discussion, because we have some 3 years of hands on experience with 1,000s of users and the information supplied by HWMonitor Free Version. Not trial but Free version.

6 Gigs dual- channel RAM >> because there are n0 3 gig sticks of ram it is surmised that
you likely have a kit of 2x2gig ram in the ram slots and an additional 2 gig stick of ram which is not very recommended for AMD ram fitment. It may work but it is leaving the ram running unbalanced across the IMC (intergrated memory controller) since there are likely two sticks in one channel and a single stick on the other channel. Better same ram amount in both channels when pushing an overclock.

MOBO Asrock 970 Extreme3 >> would n0t be a recommended motherboard except that you are using only an FX-4100 as cpu. The 6 core and 8 core cpus when pushed need more current from the mobo VRM circuit than the cheaper 970 Ext3 is capable of supplying readily without extreme heat in the VRMs.

Without the captured images which I will outline below it is hard to say just what speed maybe left for you to utilize day in and day out. I would expect you are close to the 4.5Ghz which many have managed with the cheaper boards and lesser cpu cooling. If you have no issues with the system as setup and used...then it is certainly running in a more powerful state than stock. However if you wish to explore further it is suggested that you experience the conditions as outlined below with images and descriptions.

These are the types of information that most users supply in order to be able to help them very much.

Go in bios and Disable > C1/E, Cool N Quiet > C6 > TurboCore > APM if in bios > Enable HPC if in bios. Go to windows power management and Set to "performance mode". Then do as outlined below and 'attach' not link your pics to the forum. The four (4) captures as outlined below are the ones certainly needed. Video card info and other images may be attached but the four (4) outlined are the important ones.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU CORE TEMPS fully visible.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

attachment.php

In order to attach screenshots of INDIVIDUAL images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is fairly obvious.

You can upload more than 3 images by repeatedly use BROWSE for file to upload. Images will appear in the post in the order they are uploaded unless you physically arrange the images differently.

Hi. Thank you for all the suggestions. I'm tired tonight (long work day), but wanted to let you know; the cooling system I have is the Zalman CNPS8X Optima cooler/fan. Also, I have 16 Gigs of RAM, not 6 (I should proofread more). I will download the programs you suggest, and capture the images... just not right now, as my eyes are starting to blur... thank you for your help, I will be back tomorrow.

Back