• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Opinions on this memory - Crucial Ballistix Smart Tracer 2x8GB Kits

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BuRgLaR

I've been eyeballing the Crucial Ballistix Smart Tracer & Tactical Tracer series.
This stuff in particular http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148627&cm_re=LED_RAM-_-20-148-627-_-Product

I can find it all day long in the 2x8GB in RED/GREEN but in the ORANGE/BLUE it's nowhere to be found in the 8GB modules.

Now from those of you that have had this ram before is it worth that incredible premium price?

I just want it because from the videos I have seen on YouTube it looks AWESOME!

Problem is that I cannot find it in the 8GB modules in ORANGE.BLUE and the RED/GREEN would clash with my current theme.

I guess I'm looking for justification to buy the stuff but 2 questions.

1. Is the memory worth the price premium @ $150+ for 16GB

2. Is the memory's performance on par with brands such as Corsair,G.Skill and others.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why is there such a shortage or this ram online? Was it discontinued or has issues?

O

1. That is up to you to decide. You don't get much of anything out of ram in the first place...
2. Should be... unless you are benchmarking however, you wouldn't notice a difference.

My motto, and there are those that disagree, is ram is ram is ram for most intents and purposes. If I was you, I would grab some 2x4GB DDR3 2133 CL9 that looks the part and fits your budget and call it a day as the differences between ram sticks in the vast majority of cases is negligible at best.

1. That is up to you to decide. You don't get much of anything out of ram in the first place...
2. Should be... unless you are benchmarking however, you wouldn't notice a difference.

My motto, and there are those that disagree, is ram is ram is ram for most intents and purposes. If I was you, I would grab some 2x4GB DDR3 2133 CL9 that looks the part and fits your budget and call it a day as the differences between ram sticks in the vast majority of cases is negligible at best.
QFT!!!!!

I love mine only i have 2x4gb sets but i can still overclock them to 1866 with ease
I have a set of them as well and I also have them OCed. The point though is for most people ram is ram, most people aren't going to Oc them and even if they are for most users the difference isn't noticeable.

This is great memory and performs well. I haven't seen Tracers based on 8GB modules so maybe it's new series. Before that only Tactical/Tactical LP and Sport XT were on higher density IC ( read 8GB modules ).

Back