• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Opinions wanted on build based on article

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

webunicorn

Registered
I am planning on building a PC (for various things, games, video, audio) I like what this article describes, it is about the right price, quiet, not too complicated.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2142...c-that-s-fast-quiet-and-efficient.html?page=2

from the page::

CPU: Intel Core i7-4670 - $219.99
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3 - $159.99
Memory: G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (4GB x 2), Low-Voltage DDR-1600 - $84.99
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti FTW with ACX Cooling - $174.99
Storage: Crucial M550 1TB SSD - $529.99
Optical drive: Samsung DVD-R - $19.99
Chassis: ZNXT H230 - $59.99
Power Supply: EVGA 430W 80 PLUS Certified - $39.99
CPU cooler: Xigmatek Prime SD1484 - $39.99
Miscellaneous: Fractal Design Silent Series R2 120mm Fan - $11.99
Operating system: Windows 8.1 OEM - $99
Total cost: $1,441.89

I would be choosing a different (and cheaper) HD and GPU. I have no particular plans about overclocking, but I like to get the fastest processor I can afford so that is doesn't feel obsolete quickly. Other things (GPU) are more upgradable.

Any opinions on the build or specific parts or general tips you can share?

Ok, If you want a cpu that won't feel obsolete quickly i would grab a 4670K because you can overclock an improve the performance when newer generations come out keeping up to par with them. The motherboard you suggested is a z87 chipset meaning it was designed for unlocked cpu's (K series) so if you don't plan to overclock i would choose a different cheaper motherboard and invest that into a beter gpu.

What is your budget? hard ceiling..

I think I noticed on searches only this i7 is available :
i7-4670k ($314)

not the Intel Core i7-4670 - $219

an for i5s for less
Intel Core i5-4670
Intel Core i5-4670k

which is fine, and thanks for the tip ill keep that in mind.
In response to maximum budget... 1500 but it should end up less i dont need the $529 HD

I wouldn't trust Marco as far as I could throw him when he budgets over $500 for an SSD but just under $200 for a GPU, not to mention including an aftermarket HSF with a locked CPU. Also yes that is a typo (which is no surprise considering how bad the article seems to be) it is an i5, which is what you'll want unless you're doing some heavy editing. You mentioned video/audio but not in what capacity.

Something as simple as this http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3hcYQ7 puts the $$$ of the budget where it should go. The GPU can be changed out for something else, that's just what I ended up using in my latest and am pleased with its performance. Also the case can be changed out to something that suits you more if this doesn't, mainly used it as its around the average cost while still being a pretty decent case all things aside.

Last edited:
I wouldn't trust Marco as far as I could throw him when he budgets over $500 for an SSD but just under $200 for a GPU, not to mention including an aftermarket HSF with a locked CPU. Also yes that is a typo (which is no surprise considering how bad the article seems to be) it is an i5, which is what you'll want unless you're doing some heavy editing. You mentioned video/audio but not in what capacity.

Something as simple as this http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3hcYQ7 puts the $$$ of the budget where it should go. The GPU can be changed out for something else, that's just what I ended up using in my latest and am pleased with its performance. Also the case can be changed out to something that suits you more if this doesn't, mainly used it as its around the average cost while still being a pretty decent case all things aside.

I agree about the article being a little bad and all, but it about matches th3e PC I want for features and quietness and goes on to describe putting it together and how it ran and these details will help me. I just don't know where to find better.
Seriously, thank you for your comments and sharing your list with me, I think it will help.
I do want the i7, I think I will use all it's capabilities, though it's difficult to estimate.

Munky's build is much better than the build in the article. What are you using this PC for?

For a PC that will murder games and productivity work, I suggest the following:

Asus Z97-A (or use Munky's board)
2x8GB (16GB) DDR3 1866
250GB Samsung 840 EVO
1TB WD Blue HDD
(your choice of case)
Noctua NHD14 cpu cooler
Gtx 770/GTX 780/R9 290

I agree about the article being a little bad and all, but it about matches th3e PC I want for features and quietness and goes on to describe putting it together and how it ran and these details will help me. I just don't know where to find better.
Seriously, thank you for your comments and sharing your list with me, I think it will help.
I do want the i7, I think I will use all it's capabilities, though it's difficult to estimate.

Easiest way to estimate is to try to give as much input as possible on what you'll be running on the system program wise. Many of the regulars will be able to tell you where the line really gets draw based on that. Worst case scenario though, if its in your budget and you may use the features of the i7 then its not a bad idea to do so but its still the difference of $100 give or take :p

OK thanks guys. Leaving the processor aside for now, it sounds those motherboards, and a good GPU are the things I should choose from what you are saying. For the GPU I didn't really want to spend more than like 180 but I will consider it.

Noctua NHD14 cpu cooler
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

Are eiter of those units very quiet?

Is one of these better for quietness?

Corsair 500R Black ATX Mid Tower Case
Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Titanium Grey) ATX Mid Tower Case

Asus Z97-A (or use Munky's board)
2x8GB (16GB) DDR3 1866
250GB Samsung 840 EVO
1TB WD Blue HDD
(your choice of case)
Noctua NHD14 cpu cooler
Gtx 770/GTX 780/R9 290

Easiest way to estimate is to try to give as much input as possible on what you'll be running on the system program wise. Many of the regulars will be able to tell you where the line really gets draw based on that. Worst case scenario though, if its in your budget and you may use the features of the i7 then its not a bad idea to do so but its still the difference of $100 give or take :p

OK thanks guys. Leaving the processor aside for now, it sounds those motherboards, and a good GPU are the things I should choose from what you are saying. For the GPU I didn't really want to spend more than like 180 but I will consider it.

Noctua NHD14 cpu cooler
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

Are eiter of those units very quiet?

Is one of these better for quietness?

Corsair 500R Black ATX Mid Tower Case
Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Titanium Grey) ATX Mid Tower Case

Cases and coolers are as quiet as the fans you put on them, and the RPM you run those fans at. The NHD14 comes with quieter fans than the hyper 212 and also offers much higher performance. As far as cases are concerned the main idea is to run fans that are already quiet (ie, noctua) and quiet them further by turning down their speed with a fan controller, using a PWM fan header, or using a low noise adaptere (voltage reducer) in between the fan and its power source.

Some cases go a step further and feature sound dampening material on the side panels. Your level of obsession with quietness may vary from mine so I can't tell you whether you'll need to go to that extent or not.

With a hyper 212 you can plug into the CPU fan header and the fan will be real quiet when the CPU is not under load or medium load.:cool::popcorn:

With a hyper 212 you can plug into the CPU fan header and the fan will be real quiet when the CPU is not under load or medium load.:cool::popcorn:

You can do that with an NHD14 too and the fans are quieter out of the box. Much higher build quality on the HS and fans. And it allows for much higher overclocks than the 212.

I should also add that if you get a Western digital Black HDD rather than a blue you get a much longer warranty.

Make sure you get a case without a window, noctua fans are god awful ugly :rofl:

No no, kidding aside they are extremely high quality and worth the money.

Make sure you get a case without a window, noctua fans are god awful ugly :rofl:

No no, kidding aside they are extremely high quality and worth the money.

They make black fans now. They're just hitting the market. Higher RPM, higher build quality, many times more expensive. They're mainly for industrial/24/7 use. You can buy them for home use and use a low noise adapter and they'll be quiet as can be. They're even waterproof.

I'd be proud to look through a side panel window and see Noctua fans. The color of dirt and poo is the color of quality when it comes to PC cooling.

They make black fans now. They're just hitting the market. Higher RPM, higher build quality, many times more expensive. They're mainly for industrial/24/7 use. You can buy them for home use and use a low noise adapter and they'll be quiet as can be. They're even waterproof.

I'd be proud to look through a side panel window and see Noctua fans. The color of dirt and poo is the color of quality when it comes to PC cooling.

I had heard about that a few weeks back, im curious to see how they'll do cost vs performance in comparison to other fans. Also that is a pretty valid point ocnoob, they are the ****. :rofl:

You can do that with an NHD14 too and the fans are quieter out of the box. Much higher build quality on the HS and fans. And it allows for much higher overclocks than the 212.

I should also add that if you get a Western digital Black HDD rather than a blue you get a much longer warranty.

Thanks, that is what I intend to do is set it up so fans are controlled based on need.

I think a case that disperses more heat would allow fans to run quieter but regardless, the corsair case seems pretty good.

So here is my parts list based on the other (Munky one) but with the noctua, i7-4770K 3.5GHz, 16G ram, 250 HD (I have a spare to use as additional storage), and a Radeon R9 270 though I may change my mind on that at the end.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/QtjpmG

You can do that with an NHD14 too and the fans are quieter out of the box. Much higher build quality on the HS and fans. And it allows for much higher overclocks than the 212..
The NHD14 fans are not PWM 4 pin for the CPU header.

The NHD14 fans are not PWM 4 pin for the CPU header.

Doesnt matter much as they come with LNA adapters. Granted, this won't give you PWM control over the fans, but it will quiet them. With a D14 you only need the fans running at about half speed to get great performance.

OP- I like your latest build, but suggest boosting the GPU to a GTX 760 2GB for $45 more than the 270. If you stick to "entry level midrange" get a 270X. The 760 is higher performance though. You can easily afford a 760 by changing your case to a 200R. Nothing wrong with entry level cases.

Looks pretty good overall although personally I would opt for a 120gb SSD with a 1TB HDD just to get more storage for your money.

~250GB for $139 vs ~1120GB for $150-160

Dont forget if you go with the 500R, you have up to 6 drive bays to work with, ideally removing the upper one if either to get a more direct flow of air towards the GPU.

Doesnt matter much as they come with LNA adapters. Granted, this won't give you PWM control over the fans, but it will quiet them. With a D14 you only need the fans running at about half speed to get great performance.

OP- I like your latest build, but suggest boosting the GPU to a GTX 760 2GB for $45 more than the 270. If you stick to "entry level midrange" get a 270X. The 760 is higher performance though. You can easily afford a 760 by changing your case to a 200R. Nothing wrong with entry level cases.

Thanks. I did some research and there are various options like using a different fan, someone mentioned you can use it with one fan and still get about the same cooling. I think your suggestion of 1/2 speed is the first thing I should try, it appears that this is one of the quietest units already.

Regarding the graphics card, it appears that the r9 270/270x maxes a lot of games, though it depends on what you define as a lot of games, and as max (I was only counting 1920 1080). Though if you just buy the latest FPSs you need a better card.

Looks pretty good overall although personally I would opt for a 120gb SSD with a 1TB HDD just to get more storage for your money.

~250GB for $139 vs ~1120GB for $150-160

Dont forget if you go with the 500R, you have up to 6 drive bays to work with, ideally removing the upper one if either to get a more direct flow of air towards the GPU.

I have a HDD like that that I can use anyway though. Thanks for the tip on flow of air, I know I want a good case and this seems about right.

Back