• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OS Setups

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Acce55

Registered
Hi Guys,

As my addiction for benching continues to gather pace, fractions of seconds are beginning to make a difference to me (or at least i think they are). And having read this excellent albeit old article i have been assessing what i have and what i should do with my Rigs and OS's

http://www.overclockers.com/windows-showdown-8-operating-systems-6-benchmarks/

So i have a number of questions around this. Considering i have the following HW/SW

Discs and Keys for
  • Windows 7
  • Windows Vista 32
  • Windows XP
The following sockets
  • 1x1150
  • 1x1155
  • 1x755

I have 6 x 128 GB SSD and enough PSU and associated HW to run each board concurrently. I have quite a few GPUs and CPUs to make a fair number of different permutations but absolutely want to stop switching SSD between the boards. To my mind i have the following setup in mind for each Board/Rig.
  • 2 x 128GB SSD in RAID0 = 238 gig(ish) available
  • 3 x Windows Boot option on each RAID0
This way i would only get the pain associated with swapping CPU/CPUs which is fine.

So the questions are;

• Is this an optimal setup?
  • If not what is your suggestion and why?

I'll ask the OS stripping questions in another thread after i resolve this one :)

Thanks in Advance. Apologies for the long post.

No reason to raid any hard drives for benching (outside of pcmark05, but let's just ignore that garbage bench).

Use a single ssd per OS if you want and have the benchmarks and everything loaded onto it. After that take an image of the drive for very easy recovery (so you can reimage the drive when the OS gets corrupted (not if, when)). Keep downloads of the various benchmarks on a USB key and space ready to save screenshots and validation files to upload from a network - connected OS (most people bench offline, using only chipset and video drivers)

We have a separate thread in the lounge with links to pre-stripped OSES and have them hosted a couple of places as well. You should have access soon!

I've gone through the Little black book(which seriously needs an overhaul) and made a list off all the benchmarks on the bot and what OS is preferred for it. I have an image for each OS with the benches preloaded so I can quickly "reload" a drive after corruption.

Thanks for the replies

I've gone through the Little black book(which seriously needs an overhaul) and made a list off all the benchmarks on the bot and what OS is preferred for it. I have an image for each OS with the benches preloaded so I can quickly "reload" a drive after corruption.

How many OS's in total do you have? - Cheers

Edit.... Any chance i could see that list....? ;)

Last edited:
We have a separate thread in the lounge with links to pre-stripped OSES and have them hosted a couple of places as well. You should have access soon!

Oh nice! The Lounge sounds awesome!
Hopefully your mobo manufacture has XP drivers because XP is pretty much the best OS to bench with. There should be drivers for skt 775 and 1155 though :thup:

Have fun clocking Acce55!

Oh nice! The Lounge sounds awesome!
Hopefully your mobo manufacture has XP drivers because XP is pretty much the best OS to bench with. There should be drivers for skt 775 and 1155 though :thup:

Have fun clocking Acce55!
It all depends on the bench SP

I set my drives up like the gents above, sort of. I have a drive for each board/platform with my Os's on it. I usually partition the drive with the Os on one side and the Benches on the other. I image the drive because like said above you will bork the Os benching. I have borked my Z87 Os at least 5 x this week alone trying to push my memory. It's nice to be able to just re image the OS and away you go. I also save my scores to a thumb drive, it just makes it easy to plug it into an everyday Pc and submit the scores. Especially when one goes Sub ambient with cooling.

Back