• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Outdated?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lokitexas

With all the Dx10 games that will be coming out I was wondering how "behind the curve" people w/o 8800's will be?

I mean how much worse will 7950gt's SLI'd be in a game like Crysis? They say that these cards are Dx10 ready...but are they?

I think only time will tell, but I would expect we wouldn't be TOO far behind the curve. I'm starting to see some of it now with NFS:Carbon ( crappy game) running at barely 30, but I think you'll do fine for Crysis, and so on for another 6 months or so.

lokitexas said:
With all the Dx10 games that will be coming out I was wondering how "behind the curve" people w/o 8800's will be?

I mean how much worse will 7950gt's SLI'd be in a game like Crysis? They say that these cards are Dx10 ready...but are they?

They won't be at all for probably another 2 years at least. All DX10 games will fall back to DX9 or OGL for at least two yearsand probably longer It would be games suicide if they didn't as the switch to Vista is not going to be fast with 4 years expected before hitting 50% desktop penetration.

Viper

Only 8800 cards are DX10 ready, and no other.

Youll be able to play DX10 games with your cards, but, in DX9 mode only.

So you are ok for another year or so.

UglyChild said:
Only 8800 cards are DX10 ready, and no other.

Youll be able to play DX10 games with your cards, but, in DX9 mode only.

So you are ok for another year or so.

Way longer than that.

Viper

I am hoping so. I am just bummed because when I started making my system...I was out of the loop on hardware, and spent 600+ for the 2 7950gt's about 2 months before the 8800's. Ahh well.

You can count on the fact that 8800's will be low end recommended when you start seeing "Will my rig run Crysis" threads. Sure DX9 cards will run the game, but a slide show without the eye candy is going to be hard to take. JMO

fabulouscoops said:
You can count on the fact that 8800's will be low end recommended when you start seeing "Will my rig run Crysis" threads. Sure DX9 cards will run the game, but a slide show without the eye candy is going to be hard to take. JMO

Doubt that seriously cause if so then Crysis will be DOA from the gitgo. You do not put out a game when 95%+ of the computers in the field will not run it reasonably well as you will have no market and to much bad press. That is game maker suicide and they know it.

Viper

ViperJohn said:
Doubt that seriously cause if so then Crysis will be DOA from the gitgo. You do not put out a game when 95%+ of the computers in the field will not run it reasonably well as you will have no market and to much bad press. That is game maker suicide and they know it.

Viper

I agree that EA will never say you NEED a DX10 card. That would be suicide. But I am saying that the dudes that inhabit game forums will be recommending them because they have one and because you will miss a lot of the cool programming that went into the game if you don't.

Case in point. Far Cry recommends a DX9 card. The game will run on a DX8 card like a MX440 or a 9000 and may even get good framerates. But the special effects will be missing. If you go to a Far Cry forum and ask what video card should I be running, the lowest that you could get away with is a 9600XT, a card that was fairly new in 2003. Even then the game could only be run on no more than medium settings at 1024x768.
What I am saying is that at the time of Crysis release, the 8800 GTS will be the cheapest DX10 card you can buy. Within a year there will be cards that will blow it away.

fabulouscoops said:
I agree that EA will never say you NEED a DX10 card. That would be suicide. But I am saying that the dudes that inhabit game forums will be recommending them because they have one and because you will miss a lot of the cool programming that went into the game if you don't.

Case in point. Far Cry recommends a DX9 card. The game will run on a DX8 card like a MX440 or a 9000 and may even get good framerates. But the special effects will be missing. If you go to a Far Cry forum and ask what video card should I be running, the lowest that you could get away with is a 9600XT, a card that was fairly new in 2003. Even then the game could only be run on no more than medium settings at 1024x768.
What I am saying is that at the time of Crysis release, the 8800 GTS will be the cheapest DX10 card you can buy. Within a year there will be cards that will blow it away.

Yeah I see what you are saying. People over recommend all the time. What they forget is just standing around looking at the scenary with the resolution and all the eye candy dialed up is one thing but when you are runnin' and gettin' shot at you don't even notice it lol.

A 9600XT doesn't have enough horsepower to display a postage stamp lol.

It will be a LONG time before I have DX10 myself. I've had every Vista release since day one and I will not have that POS on any 24/7 machine of mine.

Viper

ViperJohn said:
It will be a LONG time before I have DX10 myself. I've had every Vista release since day one and I will not have that POS on any 24/7 machine of mine.

Viper

Word.
People forget that to get DX10, they will need to shell out hundreds of $$$ for Vista and scrap a perfectly good Win XP install. I'm not sold either.

fabulouscoops said:
Word.
People forget that to get DX10, they will need to shell out hundreds of $$$ for Vista and scrap a perfectly good Win XP install. I'm not sold either.

Oh you can dual boot XP and Vista no problem so there is no need to dump your XP install (and you will be damn glad ya didn't)!

Viper

If doom 3 can run on a geforce 2, then crysis can run on the geforce 7000 series cards.

Haha vista, it was created by microsoft as thier secret weapon to destroy the PC!!

Back