• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

over clocking an intel core 2 duo e8600

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

joj

hello i am new here and i would like to ask if it is possible to overclock my e8600 intel core 2 duo cpu on my asus p5b deluxe

i think i cant because my mobo is compatible with all FSB1333/1066/800/533MHz CPUs and the cpu itself is at 1333 so i think i cant go any further

my mobo specs https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P5B_Deluxe/

my rig

asus p5b deluxe
intel core 2 duo e8600 3.33 ghz
2x2 gb ddr2 and 2x1 ddr2 ram
1 tb hdd
my gpu is an albatron 8600gts 256mb
i have and aftermarket cooler
and 2x120mm fans on case and 1x80mm fan and a filter
and psu 550 watt

so my question is should i oc my cpu or i will damage my components ????

That has noting to do with it. You are confusing the frequency of the memory with the FSB (front side bus) frequency which is the rated speed of the communication pathway between the cores, cache and system memory.

What is the stock frequency of the memory you are using? You mention the amount and number of sticks but you don't tell us what is the frequency. Look on the label. It will show something like DDR2 xxx or PC2 xxxx.

Last edited:
all the sticks are at 667

what do you mean i am confusing the frequency of the memory with the FSB (front side bus)

i mean that my mobo can support up to 1333 cpu and my cpu is at 1333
i mean that i can exceed that number that my mobo has ??

for example can i go the cpu from 333x10 that my cpu haw to i do not know 340x10 ???

i have seen enough times when i was in bio that my cpu was going a bit over 1333 to 1335 or 1336 ???

Your CPU can easily go to 1600 FSB (400MHzx10). However your RAM will also be increased to 400MHz, which is DDR800. You said you have DDR667 RAM, and the RAM may or may not be able to achieve the overclock. What brand and model number of RAM are you using? It might be easiest just to post a CPU-z screenshot showing each piece. You can run it six times showing CPU tab, Memory tab, and 4 SPD tabs showing each stick of RAM.

Here's a screenshot of my notebook's desktop as an example..
desktop_cpuz.png

3 different types of ram. :p
Drop the ram divider a click and raise the FSB.
Ram timings are tight for the spec. Set those manually too. 6-6-6-18

Your RAM is rated for DDR2-800/400MHz (JEDEC #3 on SPD tabs), but it is currently only running DDR2-667/333MHz (DRAM Frequency on Memory tab). That's a good thing.

- - - Updated - - -

3 different types of ram. :p
Drop the ram divider a click and raise the FSB.
Ram timings are tight for the spec. Set those manually too. 6-6-6-18

He already has the divider down to 1:1 ;)

yes because at bios all settings are all at auto by default

i can take a bios picture if you want to see

He already has the divider down to 1:1 ;)

1:1 doesn't mean anything except that the FSB runs the same speed as the memory.
Because the CL is running at a higher spec than the Jedec (5 instead of 6) it's clocking the ram speed down. That tells me he has it set to auto.

EDIT- Thank you Joe. :)

It is odd that the BIOS would down-clock your RAM when it should be at 400MHz. There may be an issue between the different brands which caused that. Timings will definitely need to be set manually.

Also need to find the CPU's VID so the vcore can be set to manual.

well i think i can understand all variables before the core2duo E8600 i had another cpu an intel pentium E2200 at 2.2 ghz and i overclocked it at 2.93 but i know i can go him much higher than it was and then i was having even worse ram

well i know the different ram brand cause a problem but i can leave with it

Just more setting in BIOS that cannot be left on AUTO. You'll need to set the base timings to 6-6-6-18. You'll probably want to set the DRAM voltage to 1.90v to compensate for 4 sticks too.

Edit: never say done until you need to reset the CMOS! lol

Back