• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Over-priced? BUT less troubling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jamster001

I am looking for support as I debate whether to simple buy a branded gaming desktop OR build one myself. I know many of you suggest building in order to save money BUT in the long run will building myself ALSO cover brand offered warranty? Here is my current cart waiting to be checked out over on Dell. Should I checkout or is this forum helpful on recommending hardware to build my own to same or better specs while saving bank account drainage?:( Here is my cart over at Dell:

SNAG-14031214082300_zps968a0c23.png

Any help is appreciated.

EDIT: See updated post: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7649153&postcount=11

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome!

Its not that you will save money really... but it is higher quality components and components that you directly choose for how you use your PC instead of a canned setup.

We are VERY helpful in specing things out!

I cannot see 3rd party pictures from the office, please host internally...

OCFinsertimages.png

Last edited:
I would trust individual component warranty for a longer period over an Alienware with a 1year warranty period. You are looking at better component as well, as I like how that setup does not tell you what exactly you are getting, so my gut would tell me they are cutting corners on price for the reference parts they use, but still charging you a hefty premium for something you could have purchased for far less.

Also, your typical 3 to 5 year warranty on individual components, or the 1 year (unless you pay for 3 years) offered by Alienware/Dell.

Listing out the goals of this purchase and any must haves would be helpful.
Looking at that bill of material thought, I can already see wasted money.

All I'm saying is, I just built your setup with a basic setup, for $1,100 less INCLUDING Windows, a QUALITY mechanical keyboard and mouse, etc...

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/38EiK

Just a quick mockup, but the point remains, you are blowing over $1,000+ just to have them build it, and only a 1year warranty... Why?

Build from my link:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4820K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.97 @ TigerDirect)
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE 78.1 CFM CPU Cooler ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock X79 Extreme4 ATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($209.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($164.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($139.99 @ Best Buy)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($88.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($489.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($489.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Cooler Master HAF X ATX Full Tower Case ($179.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: SeaSonic X Series 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($181.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($84.98 @ OutletPC)
Keyboard: Ducky DK9008 Shine 3 Blue LED Backlit (Red Cherry MX) Wired Standard Keyboard ($149.00 @ Mechanical Keyboards)
Mouse: SteelSeries Sensei RAW Wired Laser Mouse ($40.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $2625.83
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-12 14:39 EDT-0400)

Edit: Haha, ATM beat me to it :p

Please delete this thread as I am starting a new one with a local spec picture embedded. I cannot do so by simply replying/quick post. <----NOOB

REVISED-Over-priced? BUT less troubling?

(old thread: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=744520)

I am looking for support as I debate whether to simple buy a branded gaming desktop OR build one myself. I know many of you suggest building in order to save money BUT in the long run will building myself ALSO cover brand offered warranty? Here is my current cart waiting to be checked out over on Dell. Should I checkout or is this forum helpful on recommending hardware to build my own to same or better specs while saving bank account drainage? Here is my cart over at Dell:

SNAG-14031214082300.png

We do not delete threads. Please do not start a duplicate thread. :)

You can use the method I posted earlier if you are in GO ADVANCED in the quick reply as it shows the full list of editing tools. :)

My primary reasoning for this desktop will be for gaming. Mostly FPS and the occasional RPG's. I will take everyone's advice here and build my own; seeing that the quality of individual parts outweigh a boxed machine along with part warranties. I greatly appreciate all the feedback. I was told this was the go-to site for information regarding builds. Thanks again everyone!

I'm sorry but I already created. Lesson learned and I will avoid doing this in the future. Sorry about that.:eek:

I merged the threads... it looks like that may have made it worse... I will edit things up to reflect your addtions.. sorry about that. :)

Now that we convinced you to build, let's get some clarification:
What resolution are your monitors?
One monitor? Three? More?

Now that we convinced you to build, let's get some clarification:
What resolution are your monitors?
One monitor? Three? More?

I currently have one Asus VG248QE but been debating on replacing with a BenQ XL2420TE. I will most likely want a three-monitor environment once I build my machine. Resolution is 1920x1080 but I have it set lower due to using it as my primary console (ps3/360) monitor.

Thanks for all the help community!:)

My Lord, you can stick to ~$1200 and never see a hitch while gaming...

I currently have one Asus VG248QE but been debating on replacing with a BenQ XL2420TE. I will most likely want a three-monitor environment once I build my machine. Resolution is 1920x1080 but I have it set lower due to using it as my primary console (ps3/360) monitor.

Thanks for all the help community!:)

Since the VG248QE and XL2420TE use the same panel, why? Why not just get 2 more VG248QE's??

Back