• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

overclock a barton

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sch00n

Registered
Hey guys

Another question as an overclocking n00b

1. Do i have to unlock the barton chip in order to overclock it

( i want to buy an A7N8X deluxe Rev. 2.0 )?

2. Is there a step by step barton overclocking guide on the web ?

3. What cooler is recommanded for overclocking a barton to a
xp 3000 ?

4. what ( cheap ) case do you recommand ?

sch00n said:
Hey guys

Another question as an overclocking n00b

1. Do i have to unlock the barton chip in order to overclock it

( i want to buy an A7N8X deluxe Rev. 2.0 )?

2. Is there a step by step barton overclocking guide on the web ?

3. What cooler is recommanded for overclocking a barton to a
xp 3000 ?

4. what ( cheap ) case do you recommand ?

Welcome!
1. No, the Asus can adjust multipliers in the bios (go for an abit nf7-s if you want to OC = MHO

2. Yes there is and I don't have it in my bookmarks :( A search could turn up interesting results, thiough ;)

3. Depends- Budget = thermalright SK-7 or AX-7, Otherwise, the Thermalright SLK-900 or slk-800. Again, some searching of this forum will help, as will http://www.overclockers.com/articles373/ .
and http://www.systemcooling.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=201 is a second opinion

And right now, http://www.case-mod.com/store/specials.php is the cheapest place to pick up one of those fine HS's

4. I personally recomend the Antec SLK3700AMB. Search on www.pricewatch.com to find prices, and check the www.resellerratings.com rating of the stores. www.Newegg.com is a good start

By the way:
Read up on the STICKIES :) They can help give you the basics you need. Good luck!

Based on how many people will recomend Abit NF7-S V. 2.0 over Asus A7N8X deluxe Rev. 2.0, I'd have to say YES!!!

if you search this forum for choose nf7-s a7n8x or something like that, you will get to see many threads ready to read about people trying to figure out which board to choose, IMHO, if you're broke, go for epox 8rda+, and if youre not, then Abit NF7-S is your best bet.

The abit board is the best AMD based overclocking board that is out as of right now. There are other one's that are pretty good but I would say 8\10 people would recommed the abit NF7-s 2.0.

This board support's 400MHZ all day long. Yea most of the newier ones come's with the bios that support 400fsb.

abit nfs-7 2.0 supports 400mhz fsb OFFICIALLY. ABIT will prob release bios for some earlier boards that will make them unoficially support 400mhz fsb, as nvida has the bios available to mobo makers for at least one of the chips that precedes the crush-18 NB chip. Abit is much more agressive in bios release than asus.

Go for the ABIT. Way fewer problems, more stable. no mods needed for OC'ing. Solid out-of-the-box performance.

Back