• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclock Non-K CPUs on ASUS ROG Z170 Motherboards!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It would be great but:

Issues found so far

No IGPU ( I have official BIOS and on Hero, IGP is not working at all on 6600K and 6700K )
No dynamic change of CPU frequency
No C-states
No Turbo Mode
CPU temperature reading is incorrect
AVX instructions have very low performance
Windows XP ACPI not supported

Info about it was already on the forums couple of weeks ago. So far ASUS hasn't fixed BIOSes ... so yes, you can overclock non-K CPUs but it's not always working as good as you could expect.

For me guide linked in that article is pretty pointless.

Somehow ASRock made it right but to OC non-K series you need OCF board. It's above the budget for all who wish to use it only for games and think to save some money overclocking locked CPUs.

Last edited:
Well it IS a month old, i put it here as curiosity info more then anything :)

Actually I had hope that ASUS fix BIOS for my board and then maybe I will try i3 but there is nothing new for a month. I see that ASUS is focused on new boards as for these "old" there are not even full updates or only something like added support for new CPUs what is simply new microcode from Intel. Hero, Gene and Ranger are considered as "old".

Possibly Intel making pressure to stop non-k overclocking ?

Intel has put pressure on Asrock and I am sure everyone else since the Bioses that allowed locked CPU OCing are no longer availible so if you have on make sure you save it and pass it on...I have a Techreport Forum member looking for a Locked CPU OC bios for the ASrock boards z170 extr 4 to 7 if anyone has one please let me know so I can pass it on.

Back