• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocked PC running slow after 6 years

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lateralus180

Registered
My PC has been running slow lately. I can't figure out why, but I am leaning towards the CPU. I built my PC in 2010 and overclocked it to 4.0 ghz from the first week I had it. It was at 2.8 ghz stock, on the intel i7 930. I ran it as a gaming machine for a few years but for most of it's life it has been used for general work and web browsing. Back in 2010 and 2011 it was a very powerful machine, and it was very snappy. When I would click on tabs in the web browser or open programs before it was snappy and very smooth.

The last year though it has been somewhat unresponsive, and just laggy in general when clicking programs or firefox tabs. Sometimes I will click on a new tab and it will stutter for a second, then load. It seems like something is up with the CPU. I have reinstalled windows many times, and I even just bought a new hard drive as I thought the old SSD was shot. Fresh SSD is in, new upgraded video card, and upgraded ram from 6 gb to 16. RAM is higher clock speed also.

The PC is still laggy like it was before.

Is it possible that 6 years of constant 4.0 GHz overclock has ruined the CPU and motherboard? That's the only thing I can think of. It's only lagging on windows programs, but when playing games like battlefield it's smooth and snappy. I can't wrap my head around this issue..

Original setup:
Asus P6TD Deluxe
Intel i7 930 O/C to 4.0 ghz
6GB RAM Gskill 1600 mhz
Radeon HD5870 1 GB
Corsair P128 128gb SSD

New upgraded parts from this week:
Video card upgrade: Gigabyte 1060 6GB
RAM: 16 GB Kingston 1866 mhz
HD: Samsung Evo 850 256gb SSD

- - - Updated - - -

I should note that I recently reset the BIOS, and did a fresh overclock at 3.6 ghz with lower voltages
Also my original voltage settings were at 1.39

Hi, what OS are you using ? if you are still on XP I recently found in some of my old gear that windows update was using 100% CPU and making it cery laggy. (disabled anyways since that OS is long out of support and updates anyways). Another option is that your CPU is throttling bacause of high temps... however this should not be the case just 'browsing' unless some program in background is using the CPU... so I recommend also checking your cooling and temps. Also disk fragmentation and/or just accumulated trash on the disk can be an option (I know you commented that the OS has been reinstalled, but you did not comment if the disk was freshly formatted at that times). So the option here can be running something like 'ccleaner' or similar. For last, check your system for virus and/or malware...
In any case, if the processor works at 4Ghz and with good temps, it does not matter for how long it has been overclocked. speedwise, the hardware just does not degrade.

I was on windows 7 until this week, now I am on windows 10.
I have a new hard drive with a fresh install, I assure you there are no viruses or malware, It's as clean as it gets.
Thanks for the reply

I messed with some overclock settings, and reset BIOS. Now my CPU fan on the corsair H50 water cooler is running at a much higher RPM than ever before. BIOS settings are default, I went through them a bunch of times also and tried different O/S settings. I'm back to default though. Why has my fan decided it will run twice as fast at idle speed now ?? It wasn't doing this yesterday before I messed with settings. I played Battlefield for a few hours with new settings and the fan speed stuck after that.

Check your cooling system and CPU temps... It could need some cleaning or a component may have failed and the CPU is overheating, the fan trying to compensate and the PC running slow because of thermal throttling...

Yes, check package temps with HWMonitor. You may be getting thermal throttling.

Last night I had an issue with the computer not recognizing hard disk after doing a new over clock. After a hard reset it booted into windows but it wiped my BIOS settings to stock. So now the PC has been off for 10 hours, it's as cool as it gets, and upon boot up today its running stock 2.8ghz and all 4 cores are between 27 and 34 degrees Celsius at idle. Fan came on immediately to a higher speed which I would have only experienced during gaming before.

On my last overclock I may have tweaked a wrong setting to a high number. I had the voltages above 1.4 and something else to 1.9. Is it possible that my CPU is fine but the other cpu related components on the motherboard are damaged?
I played battlefield for about 5 hours with those settings. Thats when I noticed the fan would not return to normal after cooling.

Last night I had an issue with the computer not recognizing hard disk after doing a new over clock. After a hard reset it booted into windows but it wiped my BIOS settings to stock. So now the PC has been off for 10 hours, it's as cool as it gets, and upon boot up today its running stock 2.8ghz and all 4 cores are between 27 and 34 degrees Celsius at idle. Fan came on immediately to a higher speed which I would have only experienced during gaming before.

On my last overclock I may have tweaked a wrong setting to a high number. I had the voltages above 1.4 and something else to 1.9. Is it possible that my CPU is fine but the other cpu related components on the motherboard are damaged?
I played battlefield for about 5 hours with those settings. Thats when I noticed the fan would not return to normal after cooling.

Sounds like your motherboard is okay if you can play battlefield for 5 hours without issue on stock settings.

Which fan is running fast all the time, GPU or CPU cooler? Both can be configured to run quieter. CPU in bios, usually in the "PC Health" section showing fan speed options. GPU fan speed can usually be adjusted in the gpu control panel software. Sounds like they are full on now.

It's a corsair H50 water cooler. Came with a fan which is plugged into cpu fan slot. The GPU fan is actually OFF at idle, only case fans, power supply, and cpu are active at this time. In BIOS I saw an option for cpu fan speed but it was either auto, silent, standard (active?). Either way bios was reverted back to stock and before I wasn't messing with fan speeds.

How long have you had the H50? The pump in them can get sluggish, the TIM may need replacing. May want to consider it as an 'issue item'.

It was in here since the spring of 2010. I generally leave the PC on all night too, but I travel for work the last 2 years so the PC only runs non stop all weekend.

I didn't have the fan issue until I started gaming with this pc again this week when I put the new video card and ram in this machine. Maybe the pump was old and decrepit already and gaming for hours caused more of an issue?

It's a corsair H50 water cooler. Came with a fan which is plugged into cpu fan slot.

What is the pump plugged in to? My h100i pump plugged in to the CPU fan header, which ran at 100%. The fans plugged in to the pump. If the pump is plugged in to a header that isn't running at 100% it isn't circulating coolant fast enough, and that may be why the fan is running full speed.

The fan is plugged into the CPU slot, it has 4 prongs. Pump is plugged into chasis fan slot to the bottom left of the CPU.

The weird thing is i just checked task manager and CPU usage is sitting at 20% right now and it's saying my UP time is 14 hrs and some change. The pc has only been on for 4 hours today. Is there something weird going on with windows 10? I had no issues whatsoever with windows 7. All of this crap started when I switched to 10.

All CPU cores are running between 43 and 47 celcius at the moment. 20@ cpu usage. I am doing nothing that should require cpu usage right now.

The fan is plugged into the CPU slot, it has 4 prongs. Pump is plugged into chasis fan slot to the bottom left of the CPU.

The weird thing is i just checked task manager and CPU usage is sitting at 20% right now and it's saying my UP time is 14 hrs and some change. The pc has only been on for 4 hours today. Is there something weird going on with windows 10? I had no issues whatsoever with windows 7. All of this crap started when I switched to 10.

All CPU cores are running between 43 and 47 celcius at the moment. 20@ cpu usage. I am doing nothing that should require cpu usage right now.

We call these "headers."

you need to go into bios and disable the "slot" or "header" the pump is plugged into.
this runs the pump at full speed.

make a new folder,on the desktop, copy and paste this as the folder name.

GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

Back