• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclockin Asus k8n sempron 2600+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Redi

So im a totall newb but i saw this on my BIos jumper settings.
It was an option like this:Standard-Overclock 3%,5%,8%,10%.what is that?is it safe to use it?should i try with 3% see if it is stable and then go for 5%? whats the risk on it considering that my pc is quiet old.Btw the maual option on my bios doesnt allow me to change FSB or Voltage

The greatest problem maybe in that most systems configured a long time ago, are usually needing dust clean outs and CPU heatsink compound renewal and all of that just from having run a long time not renewed. So to ask that sort of condition to put up with overclocking can cause temps to rise dramatically since the AUTO overclock options are n0t skimpy on adding Vcore to make even a minor overclock work for the "masses" of the unknowing who might use the % numbers for an overclock.

So the following being true >> "maual option on my bios doesnt allow me to change FSB or Voltage", I think I would leave overclocking of older stuff to a time when you are ready and can afford to upgrade if an issue comes up that is not foreseen.
RGone...

its not that i use that Pc i was just going to try overclocking so are you saying that even a 3% auto overclocking would make it unstable?

Might and might not. Absolutely no way to know. Some of the cheap boards with Auto Overclock from years ago would not even do the 3% overclock due to ram used or some other variable. Try it and see what happens if you don't use it much. Only you can tell what is going to happen.
RGone...

I heard that Asus k8N motherboard are good for overclocking

Btw the maual option on my bios doesnt allow me to change FSB or Voltage = IF that is an accurate statement then I doubt the board would be much of a good overclocker. You have to adjust Vcore and FSB to overclock a locked processor. But suit one's ownself.
RGone...

well i must be able to unlock that right?(i hope that wasnt too much of a newby question)

well i must be able to unlock that right?(i hope that wasnt too much of a newby question)

Those older motherboards often used a combination of physical jumpers and bios options to do overclocking. In bios, when things are on "Auto" many manual settings are typically hidden. Take main bios section headers off of "Auto" and you may see the options you are looking for.

does that means that the only way is to manually change those physical jumpers?

does that means that the only way is to manually change those physical jumpers?

Depends on the motherboard. The later ones of that vintage allowed you the choice of doing some things manually with the physical jumpers or doing all adjustments through the bios. I think once you got into the boards using DDR2 memory the latter arrangement prevailed.

What you need to do is to get a handle on the things you need to change in order to overclock (ask that question first) and once you are settled on that determine if you can manipulate all those things in bios or if some of them can only be done with jumpers. At the very least you would want to be able to:

1. Change the FSB (aka, CPU Frequency, HT Reference)
2. Memory speed (you would need to be able to lower it say, from 800 mhz to 666 to create some headroom for overclocking.) Memory speed dividers may look like "x4 or x5.33" instead of being expressed in frequencies.
3. CPU voltage.

It would also be helpful if you had the option to lower the NB frequency (or CPUNB frequency, not the chipset NB) in order to create some overclocking headroom for that component.

If you want, take a digital pic of the relevant sections of the bios and attache them with a post so we can help you identify and sort out some of these things. Bios terminology varies tremendously from one board manufacturer to another so that can be a challenge.

To attach a pic, click on Go Advanced at the bottom of any new post window and then click on the little paperclip icon at the top of the advanced post window where the tools are.

12 pm here cant open my old pc a lot of noise so ill make sure ill post what you said tomorrow.Have a nice day

From 7 years ago.

Asus K8N Overclock ...How?

There are K8N boards, K8N-E, K8N-E Deluxe, 8KN-M, 8KN-VM versions of the 8KN board and what does what and will do what depend on the version of the board and the version of bios on the board and also the version of cpu in the socket makes a difference as the 2600+ Semprons do not allow for manual Vcore and other adjustments according to search for the 8KN motherboard, since that is what you say your board is.

Those old socket 754 motherboards were all over the place as to what was available for manual overclock with user control.
RGone...

I will be retasking the 24 pin power cable from a dead PSU for use on a K8N board in the next couple of weeks and will try to post up something as I have time (the MB I'll be using looks custom at some OEM level and takes the 3mm connector). If a couple of weeks go by and you haven't heard from me OP, then bump this thread to help me remember, or PM me, whichever is fine by me. :cool:

As RGone said, these old MBs are all over the place as far as BIOS goes. Mine is a K8N-BR, Award BIOS, made just for HP. It has no options for OC'ing at all. I'm going to see if it will take a BIOS update, if there is such a thing for it, but I don't think I'll be doing much more than wasting time. In fact, the BIOS doesn't recognize a first gen SSD.

Back