• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking 640- Up CPU or Memory speed?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trey_w

Im trying to finally tweak my 640 to a good overclocking speed while maximizing the memory and bus.

I have a ABIT AW8Max Mobo, Intel 640, and 2 x 512 OCZ performance memory 4-4-4-7

If I set my DRAM:CPU to 1:1, my memory speed is under utilized. If i set it to 3:5 I get more out of my Ram but looser timings.

What would you recommend.

BTW, the BIOS shows my system with 3:5 divider but CPU-z shows 3:4????

The only real way to tell what is best for each system is to benchmark it and see what the numbers do.

Try it one way, run all benches, and then try it the other way. You're getting down to that balancing act. People could tell you what their system did, but even if they had the exact same hardware, yours might do the better or it may do worse with their settings.

Seems like the 3:4 ratio is better if you want a high O/C. Plus you might be able to use slightly tigher timings than 3:5 ratio. Like 3Dflyer said, experiment around and do some benchies.

Back