• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking 780Ti Matrix?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

funsoul

Hi Folks

Have 2 waterblocked asus 780Ti matrix cards and am trying to figure out the best way to go about overclocking them. So far, have used AB to get them to the 1.2125. Under full load the cards never broke 40C so there's some headroom.

Tried the approach here and here but running the msiafterburner /ri4,20,99 or /ri3,20,99 returns "invalid result" so that doesn't appear to be happening.

Figure I could try the approach/tool here but it seems like that's for use after having gotten AB unlocked to 1.3v?

Next option would be to use the instructions for enabling ln2 mode which coolice provided here This seems like it'd be a good route to follow except I'm a little nervous about running ln2 mode with watercooling. Iirc, have read that people killed their cards that way and coolice even mentions "GPU Tweak might possibly kill your vmem. Workout for time being, use vga hotwire for OV". Arghhh! That said, in the same thread, 8Pack says gpu tweak works no problem. Other good info down the thread is here. Seems real sketchy and there are multiple dead memory reports...I don't want to kill anything :(

Vga hotwire would be a good approach but am running the cards (atm, anyway) on a msi board not a rog one so no vga hotwire is possible. If I swap to a different setup (with a rog board) and want to try vga hotwire, should I connect the cards to the motherboard or directly to the oc panel? Anyone have experience and/or helpful links?

Another voltage adjustment option is an evga epower board (thanks xsuperbgx!) with an evbot...need to google-fu to find guides and xsuperbgx's thread for the file to flash the evbot. Really clueless atm on how to get this option working so any guidance would be super appreciated.

Finally...there's the asus matrix xcb route but since I can't find one, guess it's not really worth considering atm.

I know this has been a long, rambly question but what's the best way to overvolt/overclock these cards without killing them? Specific suggestions, guides, links, etc, etc would be very much appreciated!

tia (again)!

Hey bro, you have to run in ln2 mode to raise the ocp, may even let stock AB go higher on volts

I run in ln2 mode with stock cooling

Hiya Witchyman!

Didn't think you ran anything with stock cooling ;P If'n you're around, may have to give you a call. For some reason, didn't think you had the matrix version.

Last edited:
Heya MetalRacer!

Yep...understood but have a few other setups laying around ;)

Since I've got a pretty mean 4930k coming, decided to swap out from the z97 xpower ac and g3258 to the riv-be and 3930k to get everything figured out. So...about vga hotwire to oc panel....? Do I still need to put the cards in ln2 mode to be able to get more than 1.2125? Iirc...that's a yes but am not 100% sure. Unless you know a good guide, will have to search around for a decent one on the wiring (ugh...unless I can find a couple 2-wire wires, will have to order some). Hopefully it's pretty simple soldering :/

Haven't tried the latest gpu tweak. Being extra cautious so want to find out the real deal with everything before getting too crazy. Want to learn about the different alternatives so I know what to do when switching platforms (I'm thinking the z97/g3258 will be great for older 3d's). What do you think about modded bios? Pretty sure everything out there is the basic 110% power, 1.2125v thing so would save an adjustment or 2 but is there anything else?

Guidance on alternatives to overvolt and overclock on different (rog, non-rog) platforms would be awesome. Pretty sure for the actual overclocking, it'd be AB or, if it won't kill the cards, gpu tweak.

Pics of your card and ROG board -Ok i see see what you got posted now is the second pic is OC Panel if so it would be solder ponts on card to vga ov1 on oc panel then vga smb to the board if I'am not mistaking - for non ROG board you would need to use variable resistors to the solder points on the card

If you have any old cases lying around you might be able to use the cables/wiring out of them. The one I have in the pic has an eight position connector but you could pull the extra wires out and let the two empty slots hang off the edge of the header.

Capture1036.jpg

Capture1037.jpg

Now that I'am not drinking this is what I would do first go to radio shack see if they had any of these https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12807 and solder it to the card then just find the plugs you need. This came to mind since you don't really solder http://proto-pic.co.uk/solderless-headers-10-pin-straight/ you can cut two rows of three off and pop them in But i never used them and would be afraid they wouldn't fit tight enough plus you still would need to solder to enable LN2 mode (don't now why enabling LN2 mode would kill the memory it shouldn't add more voltage just the option to raise the volts more then stock)

For non-ROG boards i'll draw a pic and add it later but you should be able to do this mod your self since there will be no soldering to the card it self thats if you add the 6 pin header to the card

This is what I would do
20150118_092257.jpg

Last edited:
How did you make out bro ? did not see any subs ?

Here is what I would do

1. switch to ln2 mode (This will not hurt anything, you are still in control)
2. Max out cards run, all benches on both your platforms and both single GPU and SLI (post best results)
3. This first so if you do waste um at least you have some results
4. Now flash to best BIOS available rinse and repeat above
5. Now do any hard mods you have planned rinse and repeat above

Using this method will always leave you with the best results if one or both get wasted along the way
I know no one wants to think about wasting such expensive cards

The unfortunate reality is if you want to compete at a top level you have to risk the cards
If you are not willing to risk the cards competing at a top level is difficult

Can't tell you how many cards I have wasted going for the gusto right out of the box only to have nothing to show for it

Sham's post's over at KPC, he may have some special sauce BIOS files , if not Metal's link for Skyn3t's BIOS files is good,

for me they were great for memory clocks , but hindered core , I used Vince's for my best results, but that will not work with a Matrix card

Rock on bro

If you have a conductive pen short the pad connection and give the ln2 BIOS a try with AB and if it doesn't work out you can always remove the conductive pen connection.

I have a hundred or so of those headers QF linked to and they would need to be soldered.

It's a shame Asus didn't include the XCB oc panel board with these cards.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...i-Matrix-Platinum-overclocking?highlight=dumo

Last edited:
If you have any old cases lying around you might be able to use the cables/wiring out of them. The one I have in the pic has an eight position connector but you could pull the extra wires out and let the two empty slots hang off the edge of the header.

Oooh...perfect idea MetalRacer! Have a bunch of old computers in the garage, time to go scavenge their carcasses!

Now that I'am not drinking this is what I would do first go to radio shack see if they had any of these https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12807 and solder it to the card then just find the plugs you need. This came to mind since you don't really solder http://proto-pic.co.uk/solderless-headers-10-pin-straight/ you can cut two rows of three off and pop them in But i never used them and would be afraid they wouldn't fit tight enough plus you still would need to solder to enable LN2 mode (don't now why enabling LN2 mode would kill the memory it shouldn't add more voltage just the option to raise the volts more then stock)

For non-ROG boards i'll draw a pic and add it later but you should be able to do this mod your self since there will be no soldering to the card it self thats if you add the 6 pin header to the card

This is what I would do

Thanks for your continuing awesomeness in assists QuickFast! I used to do a fair amount of soldering ~30 years ago and since the cards have nice big holes, think I should be able to do the 14 solder points (6 + ln2 jumper per card). Thinking the best way to go is use vga hotwire when running a rog board and go with the epower board + evbot for non-rog setups?

How did you make out bro ? did not see any subs ?

Here is what I would do

1. switch to ln2 mode (This will not hurt anything, you are still in control)
2. Max out cards run, all benches on both your platforms and both single GPU and SLI (post best results)
3. This first so if you do waste um at least you have some results
4. Now flash to best BIOS available rinse and repeat above
5. Now do any hard mods you have planned rinse and repeat above

Using this method will always leave you with the best results if one or both get wasted along the way
I know no one wants to think about wasting such expensive cards

The unfortunate reality is if you want to compete at a top level you have to risk the cards
If you are not willing to risk the cards competing at a top level is difficult

Can't tell you how many cards I have wasted going for the gusto right out of the box only to have nothing to show for it

Sham's post's over at KPC, he may have some special sauce BIOS files , if not Metal's link for Skyn3t's BIOS files is good,

for me they were great for memory clocks , but hindered core , I used Vince's for my best results, but that will not work with a Matrix card

Rock on bro

Thanks Witchdoctor

Right now am only in setup mode...running the 3930k and 780's under water atm so likely won't go for any decent subs yet. My thinking is to spend a week or 2 learning the riv-be and 780's, get all the operating systems set up, figure out the 780ti overvolting/overclocking thing, determine the best ram to use (and at what settings), etc so once the new 4930k shows up I can do some quick learning under water before putting the cpu under the cascade. Trying to basically have everything teed up before going cold so as soon as the temp drops I can get right to the benching instead of spending hours getting everything dialed in.

So far the cards don't seem to be monsters...with 1.2125v they're running ~ 1325 heaven stable. Am using precisionx to control the voltage and overclock as, for some odd reason, when using AB it only raised the voltage on card 1 but not card 2.

Given that I've got to tear down the system (including removing the waterbridges from the cards), figure I'm better off enabling ln2 and getting all the solders and connectors done before putting them back in the board.

That said, if I enable ln2 mode (and solder the jumper)...will I be able to use precisionx to increase the voltage beyond 1.2125? Since I'm only running them under water (for now)...thinking that IF enabling ln2 mode by itself lets me take the voltages to the 1.22 to 1.3v range, that should be sufficient. What do you folks think?

Found this guide from shammy: http://downloads.hwbot.org/downloads/PDF/R4E_shamino_guide.pdf

So....whaddya think?

Sounds like you got it worked out bro, in for the results

I have to say the KPE is not as painful, but sure all this will pay off for you :thup:

This is what I would do
View attachment 158760

If you are not using OC Panel then you have to remove one resistor, connect 2 spots on the card and solder 100k ohm VR to vcore spot on the PCB ( I can be wrong with 100k ohm and can't find any guide right now ). At least for me it would be easier than play with OC Panel connection. In the same way can overvoltage every higher series ASUS card but some have OCP/OVP.

If you are not using OC Panel then you have to remove one resistor, connect 2 spots on the card and solder 100k ohm VR to vcore spot on the PCB ( I can be wrong with 100k ohm and can't find any guide right now ). At least for me it would be easier than play with OC Panel connection. In the same way can overvoltage every higher series ASUS card but some have OCP/OVP.

Thanks Woomack! Hmmmm...I thought that enabling ln2 mode (setting switch and jumpering 2 points) unlocks the voltage up to something around 1.6v? If so, what would adding a vr do different?

Woomack so are you saying OC Panel could be use as a stand alone unit with out a ROG Board to control voltage on the card that would nice,I tried to google it but came up empty

Don't know about removing a resistor on the Matrix Think that was on the DC2 cards to be able to use hotwire but I think funsoul is doing his homework his main concern is GPU Tweak I think -if he can't use OC Panel with out a ROG Board and worried about gpu tweak- hard mod might be the way to go

Back