• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking a 8350 Tutorial

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wipeout

I have always used the multiplier and voltage to overclock. I heard overclocking with the FSB will give you better single core performance. I want to use this method to overclock my FX6300. I plan on using the guides on this forum based on the experience from many people. I know changing the FSB effects all the settings, so that leads me to a question. If your using 2 sticks of ram (2 x 4g) with the default clock speed at 1600 mhz, do you down clock your ram to 1333 mhz to start this process.The video below seems like a good tutorial. I like to see things visually, but not sure if this is the best information.

Most quality sticks of RAM should be able to handle a small overclock with no issues.

My DDR3 1600 for example is running at 1725 since my FSB is at 215MHz.

Some History...

About 2 years ago it became the HOT idea to n0t just overclock with the multiplier but to use a smaller multiplier and use some FSB, as it seemed to allow about the same overclock as using just the multiplier but do it on a little less cpu voltage.

Viola, suddenly it seemed the many were becoming un-lazy and doing what the hotshoes had done for years.

I have used the multiplier and some FSB for years in order to dial in the best speed of my ram. This was standard overclocking procedure back in Intel socket 775 days.

When I run my FX-8350 it is 95% of the time using 235 to 239 FSB to dial my ram and CPU_NB in at a speed that overclocks my G Skill Ares ram by at least DDR75. In CPUz that would look like an extra 150Mhz.

So using the FSB/HT Ref Freq to dial in an overclock on AMD cpu is and has always been the way to approach overclockng and especially so since they moved the memory controller into the cpu.
RGone...

Instead of dropping the Ram divider IE 1600 to 1333, you can over volt the Ram. Most Ram is ok up to 1.65v without active cooling. Also while keeping the Same divider if you come into stability issues, you can loosen the Cas latencey from 8 to 9 for example. Usually Cas 9 is good up to and beyond 933 or 1866mhz.

The key is to overclock a little at a time, write down your settings, and test. 10-20 reference clock jumps aren't the right way to do it unless your really familiar with your system like most guys here are already.

When I OC my 8320, I notice the board automatically sets the HT speed from 2600 to 2000mhz linked to the NB. This is fine unless your running SLI/XFire x2-3 ect. cards. Most NB speeds are good around 2500mhz. I keep mine here or under after a high reference clock just for stability. Having the HT at this speed is perfectly fine linked cause it's native is actually 2.6ghz so there no need to OV the HT. The Cpu/NB voltage may need a bump, usually no more than 1.35v.

Cpu voltage can be set to whatever your usual multiplier OC is. So if your using say 1.4125v @ 4.4ghz multi only, likely you won't need more at the same speed using reference clock overclocking.

Hopefully some of this info helps, it would be easier with system specs and cpu-z's. Could walk you through it (with the help of all the members here) you'll have a nice OC in no time.

automatically sets the HT speed from 2600 to 2000mhz linked to the NB. This is fine unless your running SLI/XFire x2-3 ect. cards = That is the for sure place you do benefit from higher HT.

Viola, suddenly it seemed the many were becoming un-lazy and doing what the hotshoes had done for years.

I have used the multiplier and some FSB for years in order to dial in the best speed of my ram. This was standard overclocking procedure back in Intel socket 775 days.

Ya before the days of the unlocked multiplier. Does this show how old we are Ha ha ha

To answer your original question wipeout. Since this is your first foray into the HT Ref (FSB) adjustments, I would suggest dropping ram,NB and HT by one step. This will help you keep things stable while you raise the reference clock. Also drop your CPU multi as well. We all have our preferences and so does your CPU mine seems to be happy with a REF clock of 250.

I can tell I need to get a better grip before I ask for some guidance. I need to study some guides, so my questions will be better directed. I will be getting a ASUS Crosshair V Formula or something very close to that board with a 8350. I thought this might be really easy, but I can see the different variables now.The video looked dummy proof. Real world senero will take some time and effort, by your comments. I need to upgrade first. That should make a big difference for starting this process.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Back