• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OVERCLOCKING A P4 2.4 and AGP slot with a RADEON 9800 XT in it

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tucker75

Hi all

I am new to this overclocking game . I just brought a new better fan for the processor and one to keep case cool etc.... Advixe from a shop...

I need it in simple info as possibale laughs...

Anyway

I have

INTEL P4 2.4 mhz
MOTHERBOARD ASUS P4S8x
1.5 GB OF DDR 333 RAM in 3 x 512 mb
RADEON 9800 XT 256 DDR RAM 8x
HARD DRIVE 80GB
WINDOWS XP PRO

So any tips on to make my P4 2,4 run any faster upto say 2.9 even 3.0 my mothboard can go up to a P4 3.06..

Just a matter of interest could I buy a P4 3.06 mhz proceesor and overclock it would my MB cope with it?

Thank you

tucker75 said:
Hi all

I am new to this overclocking game . I just brought a new better fan for the processor and one to keep case cool etc.... Advixe from a shop...

I need it in simple info as possibale laughs...

Anyway

I have

INTEL P4 2.4 mhz
MOTHERBOARD ASUS P4S8x
1.5 GB OF DDR 333 RAM in 3 x 512 mb
RADEON 9800 XT 256 DDR RAM 8x
HARD DRIVE 80GB
WINDOWS XP PRO

So any tips on to make my P4 2,4 run any faster upto say 2.9 even 3.0 my mothboard can go up to a P4 3.06..

Just a matter of interest could I buy a P4 3.06 mhz proceesor and overclock it would my MB cope with it?

Thank you

heheh Becarefull with the 9800XT.

What 2.4 CPU do you have? There are 3 different ones 400, 533, and 800 bus. But yes, you should be able to O/C that system. Might not make 3 gig, but 2.8 gig is a good goal. First, make sure your mobo's BIOS allows you to lock the PCI/AGP to default speed. I have a 9800 XT and it does well in an overclocked system.

It is a P4 2.4 (400 bus)

nfact I have got it up to P 4 2.65 last night and running at that speed now... The temp at the moment is for the CPU is 35C

The RAM is 31C that was start up about an hour later after it went to 44 C for the CPU the RAM stayed about the same .

I have 1.5 Gig of RAM which is PC2700 DDR 333 I belive you can overclock that also is that right?

Thanks for the replies so far and yes the Radeon 9800 XT is my new baby so yes I be careful "smile"

when you temp reached 44c was it under load...as in were you running any big applications like games? yeah i agree with batboy make sure you lock your agp/pci ....33/66 i think is standard or stock speed...what speed is your ram running at? and what is your fsb speed?

your Asus P4S8x is a poor overclocking board since it has no AGP/PCI locks.

You should be able to overclock your "A" processor but if you try to go way beyond 133MHz FSB you will stress the PCI/AGP Bus resulting in corruption of your hard drives or damage to your video card. You'd be wasting your money if got a "B" CPU like the 3.06 since it runs at 133MHz FSB.

I think there would be a lot of strian on the processor since it's a P4 "A" Generation.

Why don't you upgrade the mainboard and processor to something that at least supports "C".

Your board and processor is what's holding the video card back.

Yeah, I wouldn't risk damaging such a nice (and expensive) video card... at least not yet... there will be a time when 9800XT's are childsplay cards. Especially since you get can a P4P800 for $107 (newegg) and a 2.4C for about $165.

Goliath

I agree it's a very expensive card, down here it's $600 - $750 and that's without taxes.

Back