• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking AMD Phenom II 1100T X6 Black Edition [First Time OC'er]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Eurafrica

As the title suggests I'm brand new to overclocking and would very much like to get the most out of the 1100T I purchased a year ago. Right now it's running at the stock 3.3 GHz but have read numerous posts stating it can be taken to 4-4.3 GHz with proper cooling/mobo.

I did try to read the guide on overclocking and understand it's easier with BE CPU's (multiplier vs FBS) but am still not confident enough to continue forward without some guidance. Assume I know nothing about overclocking!

System Specs:

GPU
2 x MSI N460GTX CYCLONE 1GD5/OC GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support ... (SLI'd)

PSU
1 x CORSAIR TX Series CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC ...

Mobo
1 x ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Professional AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

CPU
1 x AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition Thuban 3.3GHz, 3.7GHz Turbo Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor

Memory
1 x G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9Q-

Sound Card
1 x HT | OMEGA STRIKER 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card

OS
Windows 7 x64

Is my system capable/safe hitting the 4GHz mark with my current PSU? Also, I am using the stock fan/heat sink with aftermarket thermal paste that ran me about $25 for the (small) tube.

Any and all help is appreciated, and thanks in advance

I am using the stock fan/heat sink = might do 3.6 stable with the stock cpu cooling.
RGone...

Thanks for your response. In that case what kind of fan/sink would be needed to push into the 4GHz range? I have a very nice case with more than enough air flow/fans but am not really familiar with after market CPU coolers.

Or is it my mobo/psu restricting me?

Eurafrica Welcome, what case and how wide is it. It will help us make recommendations for you.

I'm no expert on that chip but I do believe they produce a good amount of heat add to that your lofty goal you're probably going to need a really good heatsink. Some of the best air heatsinks are the Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BK and Noctua NH-D14 , just make sure they will clear your Ram. i believe the Ripjaws are 40mm high so they both should clear but check first.

As far as the cooler recommendations goes, Drake has given you two excellent suggestins but they don't give either of those away. What's your budget and are you open to considering a pre-built self-contained water loop like the Corsair H80i or H100i?

Thanks for the suggestions Mandrake, very helpful.

Budget wise, there's no real limit, as I can always reuse/resell if need be. That self-contained liquid cooler looks very impressive, I imagine the price is equally so. What would something like that allow me to do OC wise?

The Corsair H100i ought to allow you to get an OC of 4.1-4.2 I would say. To mount it inside you case you would need to have two 120 mm fan holes side by side.

The H80i would be more versatile from a mounting perspective but doesn't have quite the cooling power as the 100.

Just to put you in my mindset, I suggested those coolers because of the goal that was wanted to be achieved. If your Oc goal isn't a moonshot, there are less expensive coolers that are quality units.

Thank you both for your quick responses/suggestions. I need to measure out my case and will definitely be going with either one of your suggestions.

Is 650W PSU sufficient to power either of the coolers + my current setup?

Back