• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking GTx 660m not happening

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xander89

Ok lads and ladies

i bought an MSI GE 60 recently because it was a killer deal (usually around the 800 mark and i got it for 630).

One of the appeals of the laptop was that the gtx 660m was a pretty nice overclocker. A lot of people saying they have got near the 1000mhz mark ( usually its at 835mhz boost on the core, i think). It is sitting pretty cool when on the cooling pad i have for it and has a lot more headroom on stock.

Currently I cant seem to make the core boost budge with either MSI afterburner or EVGA precision. I can change the memory clock though, which to me is rather odd. I slap 135+ mhz on the core and say + 200 mhz on the memory and the core just wont budge when ingame but the memory will. Not only that it sometimes refuses to boost at all ( locked on 400mhz core and 800 mhz mem) in games when i attempt to OC it.

I cant seem to see a power target in either of the programs like when i OC my 780 and voltage control is ofc not available. I might just be missing a trick here,any ideas? :shrug:

sometimes chips just dont oc very well...it happens to everyone my first fx8350 only got too 4.4 before getting unstable and i actually had a 780 burn up at +200. not everyone gets a great overclocking chip...it happens

sometimes chips just dont oc very well...it happens to everyone my first fx8350 only got too 4.4 before getting unstable and i actually had a 780 burn up at +200. not everyone gets a great overclocking chip...it happens

the gtx 660m is a gpu and isnt OCing at all the core wont move but the memory will. it isnt about it being a bad ocer because the core clockw ont move at all. I did figure out it was due to the factory shipped driver version sometimes stops you from ocing properly. Switched up the drivers, and bang it worked,.

The guessing is painful... :p

To add to that, perhaps with a bit more relevance, LOL, Any laptop gpu I have overclocked I have done it through the bios...that said, they were integrated so that not be helpful.

Back