• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

joshhua5

Right now I'm overclocking and this is my first real session of overclocking compared to my little attempts at the past. Right now most of my configurations are passing post but pause on loading operating system. Does this narrow down the possible problems with the current configuration. If so then where

I'm using the 8150 with watercooling

Good question for that because I never undstood is, why turn off all the power saving features?

It has the potential to cause instability. So you start with them off, then once you find a stable clockspeed, enable them and see what happens.

Good thing I backed up my hdd because windows seems to be corrupted now :) lucky me
I'll return to this fresh in the morning.

That makes sense.

I was overclocking and I've come to the conclusion that core 1 and 4 are my weak cores so I can get past 4ghz on watercooling without bsod. Any way which I can get past this problem by turning them off?

I turned 'one core per compute unit' so core 4 is. Managed but core 1, I don't know if you can even turn at one off.

That awkward moment when you're at 4.6ghz. 238x19.5. 55c and only 1 core didn't fail.

Live by tut that earthdog is talking about it saved my rear. Granted I had to read it a few times. What volts are you at? Cores dropping out sounds like under volts but I only say that because that's the issue I had with my wife's computer.

It was almost pushing 1.5 vcore. And 1.4 on the CPU nb.
What I did was returned to 18 x 230 and slowly increasing the multi by .5 every time and seeing there it stops, then up the volt

Core 4 and 6 just crashed at 18.5. X 230. Vcore 1.4125. Nb vid 1.4125

Generally, as your overclock progresses, not only do you need to add voltage to the CPU cores but to the CPUNB as well.

Nb vid 1.4125? As trents said cpunb is what you add volts too. I would not push cpu-nb more then 0.250( I try to keep it 0.125 myself) over stock gets way too hot. But heads up with you do add to cpu-nb your cpu will really start to jump up in temps. NB-vid and cpu-nb are not the same thing.

Guess i mean CPU-NB is 1.4125 as the NB is at 1.18
Running stable at
18 x 230
NB Multi: 11
Vcore: 1.4375
NB Volt: 1.18
Memory: 1.525
cpu-nb: 1.3125

got a 10% increase over AMD Overdrive benchmark

I have no hands on experience with the FX CPUs but on the Phenom IIs and Athlon IIs I believe the stock CPUNB voltage is 1.75 1.175 and bumping it up to around 1.225-1.25 usually is sufficient to carry the core overclock as high as it will go. Also, it can be easy to get the CPUNB and the motherboard chipset NB (which pertains to onboard gpu/pci-e and not memory control) confused as in bios both may be termed just NB.

Last edited:
My Vcore doesn't go any lower, but tomorrow (when i return from a party) I'll start dropping the voltages. Motherboard NB is first.

kind of say that my max with watercooling is 4.2 Ghz

Really NB_cpu does not need much like trent said. Yes it should be 1.175 stock I always took mine too 1.225 I belive. I'm going to throw a thought into it all. With amd's Some times a little bump in HT helps keep it stable. Granted 2000 is all needs I have taken them too 2.2. Later today I'm going to give my wife some money to leave so I can take a peak at what I did to her's

Whoops! Thanks for jogging my brain, Adams. I said in post #14 that stock CPUNB on Atholon IIs and Phenom IIs is 1.75. I meant to say 1.175.

I'm long night I have a little one x4 in my house. Are you asking if a 10 percent oc is good? I would belive that that 10 percent could be done on stock volts to be honest. When oc'in I aim for 30 percent.

Back