• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking i7 2600k with stock cooler

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

defnose

Hey guys,

As you guys may notice im new here and need some advice. Just built a new gaming rig and im wondering if i want to overclock the i7 2600k to 4Ghz using stock cooler, would u guys recommend it? Or buy something like Corsair H100 then go ahead with the overclocking?

Its just that im not willing to spend a few more bucks on H100 (though its my first choice cooler). By the way here are the system specs:

i7 2600k
Asus Maximus 4 Extreme Z
Gigabyte HD 6990
OCZ Vertex 3 120GB
WD Black 1TB
Corsair HX1050w PSU
Corsair Graphite 600T
Corsair Dominator GT 1866Mhz CL8 (2x 4GB)

Would really appreciate your comments n tips guys

4Ghz on stock cooler is no problem. Should not even have to touch anything other than move the turbo number to 40.

However. To aim for 4.5Ghz, which is a lot more, all you need is a Coolermaster 212+
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065
This $25 unit will provide all the cooling you need for 4.5Ghz or so. If you want something 4.7-5.2 you must buy a heavier duty cooler, as the 2600K does warm up more than the 2500.

A $100+ unit like you mentioned is not needed at all. $25 for a 4.5Ghzish OC, $50 for a very high one. They do great on air. Mine does 4.8 without exceeding the sixties most of the time at room temp under a D14. At 1.35 it barely hits 60 at all. They run very cool versus the last chips.

4Ghz on stock cooler is no problem. Should not even have to touch anything other than move the turbo number to 40.

However. To aim for 4.5Ghz, which is a lot more, all you need is a Coolermaster 212+
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065
This $25 unit will provide all the cooling you need for 4.5Ghz or so. If you want something 4.7-5.2 you must buy a heavier duty cooler, as the 2600K does warm up more than the 2500.

A $100+ unit like you mentioned is not needed at all. $25 for a 4.5Ghzish OC, $50 for a very high one. They do great on air. Mine does 4.8 without exceeding the sixties most of the time at room temp under a D14. At 1.35 it barely hits 60 at all. They run very cool versus the last chips.

Thanks for the reply, so basically you're saying H100 is abit overkill? I kinda like that cooler cause it gives the look of WC setup.

The H100 is complete overkill for that setup. That unit is for people looking to squeeze a $1000 cpu really hard or get a super high overclock. Or who just want to look the part ;).

That Hyper 212+ will get you a very nice overclock and save you a bit of money. It is a very good cooler. Might even be able to manage 4.8 on it. Can definitely do 4.5 or 4.6

(I'm talking about the speeds considering the average voltage which equals heat which one needs to run that speed)

But yes that 212+ will do you fine.

Now, if you just plain like the way it looks and want to mount it in the roof, why not? You can't run a cpu too cool (I think it is -80 celsius to get a bug where it won't boot) so you should be fine.:D:D The H100 is a fine choice. I'm just saying it isn't neccesary is all. Oh PS get quiet fans for that H100 if you buy it the stock ones are noisy is what people have been saying. The CM212+ comes with a fairly quiet fan. You can also add a second one at the back if you wish.

HTH

PS make sure your case has NICE cooling (lots of air in lots of air out) because that is the most powerful consumer video card you can buy and it'll eat any game for breakfast,lunch, and dinner. Lucky bugger I just noticed you had that 6990.

PPS if you got the graphite 600T case with the plexi window, ignore this. If you got the one with the mesh window, add fans to it. Makes a difference. To add more air at the front I found this http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=690300

The front of the 600T and 650D use the same panels. It'll work for you if you want one.

Last edited:
Thanx for the reply bro. I guess ill be sticking with the stock cooler for the meantime though, and save it for the next upgrade should the lga 2011 comes out soon.

Lol yes i bought the HD6990, i know it was a bit too late cause i heard the 7 series are coming out anytime soon right. Plus it was a bad time to build a game rig too cause lots of my friends been telling me to stay put as the LGA2011 coming out as well. But screw it, i just cant wait to get my hands on BF3 lol.

On the other hand, my 600T does not come with the side panel nor the mesh one. But i just placed an order n shud be arriving within the next 2 days. One thing though i was concern as you mentioned it before, it needs lots of air intake. Was planning to get the 800D but price wouldnt allow me.

I will definitely take ur advice by adding additional 120mm fans on the mesh window. Ill post some pics if i have the chance n when my rig is up n running (bear in mind it will not look pretty with s****y intel cooler lol)

Back