• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking memory and CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MediaMind

Registered
Curious, is there a point of overclocking memory when Intel says the I7 like the 3770K has a limit 1333/1600MHz what I've been told. So those with 1866MHz and above won't see a difference above 1600MHz, is this true or does the 1600MHz limit go up with overclocking the CPU, DDR3?

Its true, but mot because of what the board supports. Its true because the amount of bandwidth afforded by 1600mhz ram is plenty and is not a bottleneck.

It is faster but more standard applications won't show special difference that's why all are saying there is no point to buy faster memory.
To check difference in memory bandwidth run AIDA64, MaxxMem or other memory benchmark. Set your memory to 1600 and later to 2400 and compare both.

Also overclocking your cpu higher is raising memory bandwidth. [email protected] should give memory transfers ~18-20GB/s at 1600 and ~25GB/s at 2400.

It is faster but more standard applications won't show special difference that's why all are saying there is no point to buy faster memory.
To check difference in memory bandwidth run AIDA64, MaxxMem or other memory benchmark. Set your memory to 1600 and later to 2400 and compare both.

Also overclocking your cpu higher is raising memory bandwidth. [email protected] should give memory transfers ~18-20GB/s at 1600 and ~25GB/s at 2400.

I will give that a shot, thanks for the tips.:salute:

Also, if i am not benching I don't really need 2400, right? I would like to get 4 sticks in my Mobo but the Tridents are too big to fit 4x4 with my Hyper 212. I was hoping the 1600 would fit 4x4 without the Hyper 212 getting in the way. What do you guys think?

Last edited:
1600/2400.. doesnt matter, its size that counts. Find sticks that are short enough to fit. :)

Back