• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking my 6750 Core Duo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If your overclock needs more than stock voltage to be stable, then leaving those options enabled can cause instability due to voltage sags and spikes at the wrong times. Here's why:

Those two features save power and energy by changing both the multiplier and voltage provided based on CPU load. The problem becomes this: those features are reactive, not proactive. Thus, the CPU has to already be at full load for C1E to turn up the voltage and multiplier. The problem now becomes a massive voltage overshoot (spike) as the MOSFETs need to suddenly deliver significantly more power in the span of ~100us.

On stock voltage, the voltage overshoot is purposely countered by vDroop and the processors are specced to be stable and reliable during that spike. On over-stock voltage, the overshoot can become quite large, especially when combined with overclocking as the power draw becomes quite significant.

It basically boils down to this: the higher your CPU's power draw, the more possibility for damage to the processor by way of voltage overshoot when C1E decides to step in and turn up the speed.

If you want to save power, don't overclock :) If you want to overclock, don't fool yourself into thinking you'll be better off by leaving those enabled. And if you disable those features, you should also see if your motherboard supports some form of vDroop Disable (some call it loadline calibration).

I guess it depends on the system. I run mine with C1E and Speedstep @ 3.66 w/ no problems at all. In fact I like to see the speed changes as I run different applications. Its quite a sight.:beer:

I guess it depends on the system. I run mine with C1E and Speedstep @ 3.66 w/ no problems at all. In fact I like to see the speed changes as I run different applications. Its quite a sight.:beer:

Your perception of "no problems at all" is limited only to seeing crashes though. The voltage swings do happen when the speed changes, and if you're using non-stock voltage on top of the non-stock speed, then those swings are even larger than they would be stock.

Example figures:
Stock CPU: 1.225 VID / 18A draw at 2Ghz (6 x 333)
Stock voltage swing at C1E step-up: ~1.264v / 31A at 2.66Ghz

OC'd CPU: 1.480VID / 24A draw at 2.7Ghz (8 x 458)
OC'd voltage swing at C1E step-up: ~1.56v / 48A at 3.6Ghz

These aren't precise, but ought to be pretty close for your system. And no, I'm not exaggerating. The problem you're not seeing is the voltage swings get bigger as power draw increase. So an over-voltage that you might personally consider safe is quite actually being well-violated when C1E performs a step-change.

Last edited:
Your perception of "no problems at all" is limited only to seeing crashes though. The voltage swings do happen when the speed changes, and if you're using non-stock voltage on top of the non-stock speed, then those swings are even larger than they would be stock.

Example figures:
Stock CPU: 1.225 VID / 18A draw at 2Ghz (6 x 333)
Stock voltage swing at C1E step-up: ~1.264v / 31A at 2.66Ghz

OC'd CPU: 1.480VID / 24A draw at 2.7Ghz (8 x 458)
OC'd voltage swing at C1E step-up: ~1.56v / 48A at 3.6Ghz

These aren't precise, but ought to be pretty close for your system. And no, I'm not exaggerating. The problem you're not seeing is the voltage swings get bigger as power draw increase. So an over-voltage that you might personally consider safe is quite actually being well-violated when C1E performs a step-change.

QFT.:thup:

Anandtech had an article covering this about this a month or 2 ago. With your present vcore of 1.48, I wouldn't be surprised if you were getting transients approaching 1.6v vcore when the board throttles up or down.

Back