• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking Pentium D 930 - Can't get past 3.3ghz!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ejohanss

Registered
OK, this is getting ridiculous.

I have the following configuration:

CPU: Pentium D 930 @1.3v
Cooling: Stock Intel HS+Fan (CPU @ 47C idle)
MB: Asus P5LD2-VM DH (flashed to 304 bios)
RAM: 2x512MB OCZ XTC Platinum DDR2-6400
Video: Waiting on a 7800GTX-KO...presently running with on-board
HD: WD SATAII 250MB w/16mb cache
PS: Ultra V 500 W PS

I am only able to get this to run at 220 Mhz FSB...3.3Ghz. If I try 225 FSB..it won't post.

I'm running 1:1 on the RAM side...SPD timings. Stock voltage on RAM and CPU. (Although I jacked up the CPU to 1.37...no post still at >220 FSB).

WTF? Everybody else has no problem running this at AT LEAST 240 FSB...

I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. (Yes, I know, most people don't run stock CPU cooling...but still, I should be able to get >220FSB!)

Could it be because I'm using on-board video and it can't handle the faster RAM speed?

probably, 3.3ghz = 183.81Mhz on the FSB, and you wam is only rated for 166mhz x2 333 x2 667so I would say run maybe the ratio a bit liter.

This MB has the following DRAM frequency timing options:

Auto
DDR2-400
DDR2-533
DDR2-667

However, the 400,533,and 667 change as the FSB is increased in increments. So, I think those are really divider options 1:1, 3:4, and 3:5.

I tried 230 FSB with all three options...no post.

Incidentily, people should know that this board only gives FBS options up to 265 mhz for this Pentium D 930 chip....so the max anyone can get out of it is 3.99 Ghz.

enjohnas

Run your ram at SPD settings to auto in the bios. Let the bios set your ram as far as frequency and timings...but I have similiar OCZ ram..you need to lock the voltage on your ram 2.2volts which is high but standard for OCZ ram. Then work on your cpu voltage and fsb. Once you have your fsb stable and where you want then start monkeying with the ram settings. Also lock your regular PCI frequency to 33.3.

As for your temps, mine goes instantly from 33C at idle to 52C at dual core load at 100%. Then it settles in at 53-54C. So I'm a little concerned about your starting at 47C at idle...kinda high. Are you experience any thermal throttling due to overheating?? It kicks in at 65C on our 930's

Thanks for the updates, Monty.

I did what you said, for the most part:

1) Set DDR timings to "SPD"
2) Set Memory frequency to "Auto"
3) Attempted to set Mem voltage to 2.2...I only have two options here 1.8v and 1.9v. WTF!!!! (Picked 1.9)

then, tried for 230 FSB...no post.

Any other suggesstions? (While your at it, give me the name of the best 775 cooler under $50...no water.)

Thx.

One other question:

4) Set PCI to lock at 33.

(What do I set the PCI-Express bus lock at? Options from 90 to like 150)

ejohnas,

Ejohnas, not sure what your next step should be but your ram definately needs more juice as you raise the FSB, even with SPD set your ram will need more volts as your fsb goes up.

Heres the link to the OCZ site it specifically lists the voltage as 2.1 volts and then mentioned its okay to run it at 2.2 and it wont void the warranty.

http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_ddr2_pc2_6400_platinum_revision_2

I'm no expert, but I think you've got to get the ram more juice, if swapping the motherboard is not an option and swapping the OCZ for slower ram is not an option. Maybe you can intentionally lock the ram at stock settings speed of DDR2-400Mhz but if its only getting 1.9 volts I'm not sure this would even work.

As for the PCI-E freq as DDR-III said 100-105 is normal.

200FSB with highest divider?

your divider options dont look too good sorry to say :(

looks like a better mobo would deffenatley help you out.
I wouldn't count on the PSU being up to task at much of an overclock either.

Why the heck would this motherboard be so highly recommended for overclockers!

I'm quite aggrivated by it's apparent lack of voltage options. Any chance that they will update this via a bios revision?

So, what motherboard SHOULD I have bought?

The P5LD2-VM is the micro ATX version and is not a good clocker. It has very limited bios options and circutry is not up to the task. The P5LD2 and P5LD2 Deluxe are good clockers maybe you got it confused. I have always heard the VM version is a poor clocker. And everyone is right your OCZ ram will need more voltage to perform like it should. Sorry

It has the same chipset but this is M$ your talking about :-/
XP deffinately cross your fingers.

You guys have really helped. Thank you.

I'm worried about heat now. I'm getting to 60 degrees under heavy load quite frequently.

For about $110, I can get the THERMALTAKE BigWater SE CPU water cooling Kit. Any thoughts on this over the Zalman CNPS9500? Is it worth it?

well you will get mixed responces on this. I have the 9500 and it does the job but I would recommend the ninja as far as air cooling goes. All the reviews I have read say the bigwater SE performs very well. IMO it would easily outperform a 9500 or a ninja as long as your CPU is the only thing in your loop.

Back