• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking Pentium D 930 - Can't get past 3.3ghz!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If you do go with the 9500 it should do at least 4000Mhz + with a P5LD2. I ran mine @3900Mhz and load temps were around 50-55C.

well im going to pipe in here on matx boards. While that asus is not a good ocer. i can tell you my m-atx abit lg-81 is a great ocer had this 530j up to 4ghz on a ninja but was not stable. Temps for the cpu reached 65c with yateloon im using.

case4.jpg

*edit*
been reading about conroe stuff and what not. I havent gotten my little review of this board put together yet. With conroe out soon i may not even get to it.

I think your problem is the mobo. JoeCamel has a couple of those mobo's with 630's on them and they would not go past 220 fsb either. After a lot of stuff we concluded that it was likely due to the integrated video. Neither would go past 220 even with the integrated video disabled and pci video.

If you try another mobo, i would advise against the p5ld2 ... i have a few of them and they can't run my presslers past 235 although they run my smithfield 830's fine up to the cpu's maxes at around 265 for all 3 of them. The same presslers (920's and 930's) that i tried on the p5ld2 all hit from 260-295 stable dual folding on p5wd2's (basic p5wd2, -p and -e).

I have used p5wd2/-e/-p with good sucess on the presslers. My conclusion is for a good pressler oc you want a 955 or 975 based mobo. I did see a couple of people who had success with presslers on p5ld2's but they seem to be the exception rather than the rule.

And your ram cries for a mobo that can make it fly.

/edit after looking back at the thread some more ... i would steer clear of the p5ld2. newegg has had refurbed p5wd2's in the past which some of our OCF folding team members have had good sucess with running 920's - me included.
Thermaltake big typhoon is a solid hsf, relatively cheap, and is easy to put a more powerfull fan on which you will need for a bigger OC with probablbly higher VC. I have 6? of them on prescotts, 830's, 920's and 930's. I also have a few Sonic towers but they don't cool the pwm mofsets as well as the BT. The ninja is supposed to be good too but i have no experience with it. The 9500 is reputedly ok, maybe slightly worse than the others, and i recall it was more expensive.

Your window install will probably survive the mobo/chipset swapbut i dont recall if have have done it between the p5ld2 and p5wd2's. I have done it between 865 and 875 mobos. Just let it update itself. The p5wd2 need a fairly current bios for pressler's.

Good luck :)

Last edited:
pscout:

Once my 7800GTX-KO gets here, and I disable onboard graphics, do you think I have a shot, or is it the 945G chipset itself.

Thanks.

Dang...955 and 975 MBs aren't cheap!

How about the ABIT AW8-MAX Socket T...open box for $159.99 at newegg or
ASUS P5WD2 Socket T...open box for 168.99

These are the only 955 / 975 options that I could find for under $170.

Isn't there something a bit cheaper that will get the job done, like the
95LD2 straightup version for $113?

I think batboy runs his 940 on that abit? ... find his thread from early january when we were all playing with the newly arrived presslers. I recall the abit's having mem compatability issues but i am no expert on them ... all my 800/900 DC rigs are asus.

P5WD2 is a great board ... i have 2 basic models as well as the -p, and -E. The plain p5wd2 OC's my 920's and 930's as well as the -P and -E. The only thing better on the -E (ignoring extra features) is that it will give you 2.4 VDDR whereas the other p5wd2's will only provide 2.3V. If Conroe was not almost here, i would be tempted to build another DC rig on the plain p5WD2. Unless you need the features, I would not bother with the -p and -E versions.

If you go with the p5ld2, i would say your probability of a good oc is low ... i have 3 of them :bang head ... i was hoping they would be cheap folding rigs but was dissappointed ... however they are just fine for my 830's.

ejohanss said:
pscout:

Once my 7800GTX-KO gets here, and I disable onboard graphics, do you think I have a shot, or is it the 945G chipset itself.

Thanks.

I am pretty sure your p5ld2-vm will never go past 220 fsb.

Like I said before I have had no trouble with the P5LD2, I have Oc'ed a 630, 805 and 930 on it and all went there max on air. I did at first I have issues before I updated to the 1103 BIOS. Before I did that it seems the board had a 220-230 max FSB depending on the chip. I've had this board at 275fsb with no issues.

bignick said:
Like I said before I have had no trouble with the P5LD2, I have Oc'ed a 630, 805 and 930 on it and all went there max on air. I did at first I have issues before I updated to the 1103 BIOS. Before I did that it seems the board had a 220-230 max FSB depending on the chip. I've had this board at 275fsb with no issues.

I will have to try out that newer bios ... mine are on 901 ... but you also may just have one of those lucky p5ld2's. What is the rev on your board? ... Mine are all 1.02.

Not sure if i will be trying a pressler on one since i don't intend to buy anymore non-conroe mobo's. my 830's are quite happy on the p5ld2's and the 830's won't go any faster anyway than 265 for 724 folding. I may have a chance to check it out when i do a water conversion on a few rigs.

The Asus i955X that comes up for referb on newgg that was mentioned before has a max FSB in the high 300's from what Ive seen with presslers (and its limit is the pressler normaly, cedarmills can push it up in the 400's) I dont think I would be satisfied with 200's ;) :p

I'm not really sure what it's limit is but that was my 930's limit on air. I could push it higher but it would throttle after 275FSB.

Hey you need to push your PCIe higher, ive gotten my 930D upto 3.6GHz by taking the PCIe from 100 to 108, also i didnt notice any massive change in temps while dual priming at stock and 3.6GHz, i would have gone further, but i dont want to start pushing to to hard, as im still new to the whole intel world.

bignick said:
I'm not really sure what it's limit is but that was my 930's limit on air. I could push it higher but it would throttle after 275FSB.

What kindof hsf are you running? I have one of my 930's on a TT BT running dual folding 724 for months now at 285 ... it is caseless and on a cooler part of my rack ... at full load at 57-58C. My other 930 is only dual folding stable at 260 and the TT ST only keeps it at 63C loaded, albeit in a slightly warmer spot on the rack. Hopefully they we get on my common water system soon but i don't think that will let the slower one clock the same as the better one.

Hey guys, I'm back...the proud new owner of an Abit AW8-D 975x motherboard and a Zalman 9500.

All I can say is that it kicks serious a$$! I'm running at 4 ghz no problem, at 35 C.

Now, I just want to make sure I get my memory set right.

I have 2x512 mb OCZ DDR2-800 XTC Platinum (PC6400) ram, which has been rated fairly nice.

At a FSB of 267, which "divider" should I use for optimal performance. Here's the options:

FSB--- DIVIDER --- DDR2--- PC SPEC
267--- 1:1--------- 534----- 4272
267--- 1:2 -------- 1068 --- 8544
267--- 3:4--------- 712----- 5696
267--- 3:5--------- 890----- 7120

I think the logical answer it to try for 1:2...but the memory is rated as PC6400..so if I can't do that, I presume the next best deal would be 3:5, then 3:4.

Am I on the right track? Is 2.2 v enough, I should I move to 2.3?

(Some review I read today seemed to indicate that 667 was the best DDR2 speed to run the memory at, which is really confusing to me since they had it running much faster on the memory clock...but every other review I read said to push it to the fastest for best performance, so maybe this one is a fluke, unless someone can help me understand.)

I don't know the specs on that ram (the new micron stuff?), but OCZ usually will OC well with more volts. I wouldn't be shy about putting it to the max your mobo supports (2.3-2.4?). I have run all my ddr2 mem at the max vddr each mobo supports and have never had a mem failure ... all my broken stuff is pretty much the mobo, and you need to make sure the mosfets, pll, are cooled well. After you have found your max spped and tightest timings, back off the VDDR a bit to see if it matters. There is no point in running higher volts than you need to for your speed/timings and you want to find the lowest V that your mem will make you happy at for long term use.

Your best mem perf depends a bit on your workload. Fortunately my rigs' (about 15 atm) main workload is easily benchable - folding.
Most of my ddr2 rigs perform best (folding) 1 or even 2 notches down from highest mem speed but with tighter timings. Cheaper mem won't usually give you much better timings, if any, with more VDDR. All the DDR2 mem i have will run faster speed than SPD. The value stuff will go faster with spd or loser timings. Good stuff like the various D9 stuff I have will go much faster and with tighter timings if you give it enough V.

So the thing to do is find the tightest timings and highest speed with the max vddr. You will lower the vddr later to see if you can maintain your optimal settings.
p95 and pcmark04 work well to prove initial stability of cpu and mem. Then loosen timings and see how fast the mem will go. Your optimal value will likely be something in between tightest timings and fastest speed depending on what you bench with/for. If you game, bench with it. If you encode use that. If you do neither, then your real workload won't notice the difference ... and you should join the OCF folding team to make good use of all that nice hardware you have :D

OCF folding team forum -> http://www.ocforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21

Of course, before bothering too much with mem tweaking, find the max cpu OC that you want to run at - fsb vs VC vs temps. If you fold like me, you will probably find that you can't run it at max 724 folding 2 instances without errors. Even after all the p95, pcmark etc tests, you will find that you will need to drop the fsb by 5 or more from the max to get a rig that folds for months without errors.

Good luck :)

And if you want to try folding, just read the welcome sticky in the folding forum, and if you need some help, just start a thread ... help abounds :)

Last edited:
pscout said:
I think batboy runs his 940 on that abit? ... find his thread from early january when we were all playing with the newly arrived presslers. I recall the abit's having mem compatability issues but i am no expert on them ... all my 800/900 DC rigs are asus.

P5WD2 is a great board ... i have 2 basic models as well as the -p, and -E. The plain p5wd2 OC's my 920's and 930's as well as the -P and -E. The only thing better on the -E (ignoring extra features) is that it will give you 2.4 VDDR whereas the other p5wd2's will only provide 2.3V. If Conroe was not almost here, i would be tempted to build another DC rig on the plain p5WD2. Unless you need the features, I would not bother with the -p and -E versions.

If you go with the p5ld2, i would say your probability of a good oc is low ... i have 3 of them :bang head ... i was hoping they would be cheap folding rigs but was dissappointed ... however they are just fine for my 830's.

Howdy

I may be chiming in a bit late on this one but I have the AW8-Max3 and it is a great OC'er I ran my 650 at 4.2 without a problem and am now working on OC'ing an 805 (waiting for a new chip because the first one was a dud)

Back