• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking Q8200, and general overclocking advise

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kristinn

Hi everyone,
I'm completely new at overclocking. I'm about to build a gaming system (for CoD4 and such), and I've come up with roughly what I'll get:

Motherboard: MSI P45 Platinum
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 @ 2,3 GHz
Graphic P.U.: ATI Radeon HD 4850
RAMemory: Corsair XMS2 DHX 2x2GB

I have read that the Quad core Intel is a challenge to overclock, but I'm basically wondering to what core frequency and Vcore you can safely overclock the CPU (and what Vcore is :p, like I said, I'm new at this). And I've also heard you can up the voltage over the CPU, but then maybe Vcore is short for the Voltage over the core.

Of course the capability for overclocking must depend on the power supply. If anyone can help me with that too, I'd be grateful. I've kind of zoomed in the Tagan BZ, but I need to decide between the 600W, 700W or 900W versions.

But when helping me with the choice of wattage, please consider that I am planning to get a second HD 4850 when the single one doesn't cope anymore, and CrossFiring. So the power supply will have to handle the overclocked Q8200, the usual stuff, and two (probably overclocked) ATI Radeon HD 4850.

One last question. When dealing with an overclocked Quad core CPU, is it enough to have a fan for cooling it? Or do I need a water-cooling system?

Anyway, thank you for reading, and thank you in advance for your advice and help:)

Thank you Steven. I had actually stumbled across that very thread when trying to grasp the basic concepts. It all seems to revolve around this FSB rating. Am I right in assuming it is short for front side bus? And if I am, it confuses me just even more, cause in the that thread everyone is speaking of a fsb rating of about ~500, but in the screenshot the fsb frequency is 1600 MHz. Is there some kind of conversion factor between the fsb rating and the fsb frequency? And that program in the screenshot, CPU-Z, can it be used to overclock the CPU, or just to monitor the speeds in question?

*EDIT: I read the wikipedia article on FSB, and I think I've got it now. Now the only thing I've got left to figure out is how to actually change that FSB frequency:)*

Last edited:
Changing the FSB is a setting in your motherboard options. It's usually something like F1 or F2 as the motherboard boots, but it may be different on your MSI board.

Which screenshot? In the cpu-z screenshots, don't worry about "rated fsb" ... look at the "Bus Speed." When I say fsb in that thread, it's "Bus speed" in the cpu screenshots. Basically you're trying to increase your core speed. ie - stock it's 2.3ghz. Core speed = multi x fsb. The multiplier on the Q8200 is stuck at 7 (if I remember correctly) and you can't change it. So the only way to increase your core speed is to increase the fsb (bus speed). A fsb of 500mhz will give you a core speed of 3.5ghz (500 x 7). Stock is 333mhz (333 x 7 = 2.3ghz). To overclock, you change this setting in bios. As you get higher and higher, you'll also need to start changing things like vcore, pll, etc. All those settings are listed in the thread.

On the Q8200 leave 1.3625V ,cpu core or Vcore as the maximum u allow your mbrd to apply for now anyway.Its normal V will be around 1.225V.
You wont see people running it above 3.6Ghz for general use no matter what voltage they throw in.

400 fsb should really be called 400 reference frequency for cpu,fsb and memory
with a q8200 that would be 2.8Ghz cpu (400x7),1600 fsb (400x4) and 800mhz memory (400x2)
On the system:
Go for a Q8400 instead of the Q8200
for an extra $10 or so you get an 8x multiplier.
Run it at 400mhz ref (3.2Ghz) and you may be able to use the standard intel cpu cooler,for the same cpu speed on the Q8200 you would need 460 ref and allmost certainly an aftermarket cpu cooler ($70-$120)
A good quality 500w psu should be enough.600w perhaps if going to upgrade/add more devices later, anything higher than that shouldnt be needed.

Welcome to the forums!!!! Below is an overclocking thread that you should no doubt read to help knock out the 'easy' questions and it should get you on your way to overclocking.
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=515316

The reason you see 1600 vs 400 is b/c the FSB is essentially "quad pumped". 500 would be 2000 for example.

You chane the FSB frequency in teh bios somewhere (sorry dont have the board to show you specifically).

Thank you all for your advice. I have now some basic knowledge of the process and I'm anxious to try it. As soon as I'll have my system I will, and I'll maybe post the result somewhere on this forum.

The most important thing is to buy the q8400 instead of the q8200 unles you are getting a really great deal.
Also remember your mbrd wont take any newer cpus.
If i was buying now Id go for i7/i5(since i bought a new mbrd for my Q8200).
As it is my system could be good for another year.You tho if you buy a Q8200 now its over a year old and I wouldnt touch it since the Q8400 is available.
The $10 you could make up easily by getting some value ram,if you are that short on cash, that 7 vs 8 cpu multiplier will make all the difference.
I would have suggested the Q9550 which was getting down near $200 but then took off the other way.
Dont get me wrong .I like my Q8200 and I got it at a great price a year ago.but even if you just run your cpu at standard speeds the approx $10 price diff between the Q8200 and Q8400 makes the Q8400 a bargain

I actually found a Q8300 (7,5 mult.) at the same price as the Q8200, and I have also been thinking about the Q9550, (it's like 50% more expensive, but that extra L2 memory I think will really help in future games). And I've read that the ATI HD4770 overclocked will beat the HD4850 overclocked, so I'm really torn. I guess choosing your hardware comes down to making a decision and sticking with it before you have the chance to change your mind...

4770 will not beat a 4850 when both are overclocked. Its a noteably slower card to begin with. ;)

If you can afford the 9550, I would say get it. Though its not leaps and bounds faster, it is a bit quicker in certain things b/c of the L2.

Back