• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking w/ GA-970a-UD3P

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bluefalcon13

Hey everyone,

Having some real odd issues when attempting to start the overclocking process on my new motherboard. Basically, various reporting tools are reading the cores 1-3 (core 0 reads correctly) that they are not running overclocked. Please see the attached screenshots. I also included the screenshots from the UEFI...

Untitled.jpg

140502210215.png

140502210209.png

140502210229.png

140502210203.png

140502210156.png

140502210255.png

140502210151.png

140502210220.png

So anyone see something I am missing? I know I have my LLC set a bit high, but I am shooting for 4ghz on a 955BE, and was going to play with that once I got dialed in.

Let's see the CPUz CPU/Mem/SPD tabs, along with HWMonitor after 15minutes of Prime95 Blend.

Let's see the CPUz CPU/Mem/SPD tabs, along with HWMonitor after 15minutes of Prime95 Blend.

Not sure what Prime95 Blend is gonna show us... its only overclocking one core ><

Running prime95 now... the only way I can get cores 1-3 to stick to the proper multiplier is by using AOD (ewwww) to adjust the multi. Even EasyTune6 (gigabyte's OC tool) fails to bump the multipliers on the other cores....

cpuz.jpg

Well, first off, the BIOS is showing the correct frequency over all cores.

Second, I've never trusted Core Temp for AMD. Only HWMonitor.

Well, first off, the BIOS is showing the correct frequency over all cores.

Second, I've never trusted Core Temp for AMD. Only HWMonitor.

I'm with you 100%, when hardware monitor was reporting those numbers, I checked cpuz, then coretemp, then downloaded and installed AOD... kinda floored bout it... UEFI screenies was to make sure I didn't miss something bone-headed like...

I'm with you 100%, when hardware monitor was reporting those numbers, I checked cpuz, then coretemp, then downloaded and installed AOD... kinda floored bout it... UEFI screenies was to make sure I didn't miss something bone-headed like...

If you right click on the CPUz CPU tab, it'll show all your core speeds.
Are those in-line while P95 is running?

If you right click on the CPUz CPU tab, it'll show all your core speeds.
Are those in-line while P95 is running?

Didn't know about that, it shows the same clocks as all 3 of them have... 3.4 for core 0, 3.2 for cores 1-3... gonna drop the board back to defaults and play with one setting at a time to see if I can figure it out....

What in the world...
I hope its not an issue with P2 and that board...

Edit: I was going to ask if you BIOS was up to date, but there's only one...

right... bought this to push my 955BE further than the Asus could... just defaulted and bumped the multi to 17x

Same thing with prime95 running :/

Might be taking this bad boy back to microcenter...

If you do, I would take the whole PC and see if they have an FX you can test it with.

This is the first I've heard of the issue, making me think its something with P2 and this board and not just the board in general.

I doubt that, but I guess its possible. I had my M5A97 running fine @3.8ghz. had this running fine for the last week or so at stock speeds, finally got some time to work on dialing in a new OC for this board.

Makes me think this is why it was an open box at microcenter ><

I doubt that, but I guess its possible. I had my M5A97 running fine @3.8ghz. had this running fine for the last week or so at stock speeds, finally got some time to work on dialing in a new OC for this board.

Makes me think this is why it was an open box at microcenter ><

My thoughts are just BIOS issue with P2, as I didn't hear about it on the predecessor board to yours either.

Worth a shot for testing purposes though :)

Yeah rgone... Don't think you do...

But it's great for stock! :p

Gonna call gigabyte customer service on Monday to see what they say. If I don't like what I hear, I'll return it to micro center...

Bluefalcon13, just thinking out loud, I see the "CPU core Control" on automatic in the second BIOS SS. Are there other options?

From the manual:

CPU core Control (Note 1)
Allows you to determine whether to manually enable/disable CPU cores. Automatic mode allows the BIOS to enable all CPU cores (number of cores available depends on the CPU being used). (Default: Automatic mode)

Looks like it'll turn cores on/off, but setting it to manual and then leaving all the cores on could be the solution.

Looks like it'll turn cores on/off, but setting it to manual and then leaving all the cores on could be the solution.
I was thinking along the same lines Atminside.

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=150097.0
990FXA-GD80 AMD 955 BE CPU Ratio Only working on one core

Okay did a quick google search to see if there were any other instances of such 955BE that would not clock all cores to the same speed if changing multiplier. There were other situations where 955BE and even 720 cpu would not show all cores the same speed. The motherboards were MSI boards and not even the same 'model' of motherboard either.

The original poster RMA'd for another of the same make and model of motherboard and the result was the same, in that one core fully upclocked and the others did not do the same cpu speed.

One user in that thread got rid of his MSI mobo for Asus Sabertooth and no further issues.

So there are other instances of a 955BE (even 720) where all cores will not upclock the same. RMA for same model motherboard brought no "fix". RMA for another brand of motherboard did bring fix.
RGone...ster.

EDIT:
A couple of things I did not sort out of that thread. GD80, G65, G45 models of boards by MSI all had the issue.

I think it was determined that FSB overclocking did allow all cores to clock the same, just using manual multiplier control caused issues.
END EDIT.

Yeah rgonester, it's just a bad board for a PII system. May work fine with FX cpus, but I will just go back to using the board in sig, and back to my old OC ><

Back