• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking with i7 6700k and H80i v2 - Are these temperatures normal?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sanctimon

Hi everyone,

I am a bit concerned that my temperatures are a bit too high.

I have overclocked the processor to 4.4GHz, using the motherboard's preset for this processor. I have read elsewhere that this processor can be overclocked to up to 4.7GHz and provide a very stable system without reaching temperatures this high (
).

What is your experience? What am I doing wrong? The cooler seems properly attached and mounted (with washers in the back) and a respectable amount of thermal paste. The pump seems to be working properly.

The Aida64 output is with the CPU running at 100% utilisation.

cpu-z.JPG aida64.JPG

Now I don't have a Skylake processor to play with but that seems like a lot of voltage for that speed. If you used a mobo preset it is probably pouring way more volts than you need. I would try backing your voltage down and see if you are still stable.

You shouldn't use the MB's presets but you could go based on those and start tweaking them. As Lock said, its most likely pouring way more voltage then needed and I've read this in most cases.

Also, with that AIO cooler, you might see temps drop at the most 10c from what we're seeing now.

Last edited:
1.32v for a 6700K at 4.4GHz does not seem excessively high yet your temps seem a tad toasty.

Aida64 can run hot - A better overall test is to run something like ASUS's Realbench utility... ASUS Realbench

Download and run Realbench and lets see what your temps are like - Ideally you would want to stay under 60C when running Realbench if your ambient room air temp is around 20C.

Last edited:
1: your CPU-fan RPM seem not right, only 1400, i expect it around 2k4-2k8 for corsair stock fan come with H80i
2: your vcore is freaking high dude, 1.32??? (My i7 960 @4.2 with HT-off, vcore around same with you)
3: your temp seem to be ok with that vcore.

My friend running i7 6700K with H80i v1, @4.4 max temp around 78, no more

PS: with stock fans, i dont know his vcore exactly tho, but less than yours for sure

2: your vcore is freaking high dude, 1.32??? (My i7 960 @4.2 with HT-off, vcore around same with you)

A Vcore of 1.32v for 14nM 6700K Skylake running at 4.4Ghz is NOT that freaking High...!

Intel spec is 1.45v Max @ 60C for an i7 6700K - If he was running up near 1.36v+ then I would consider that highish for 4.4GHz.

It really boils down to what his stock VID is for his cpu.

Last edited:
1.52v absolute max according to Intel.

Yeh sorry about that, 1.52v VDC max is correct - Not sure where the 1.45v came out of my head when I posted...:bang head

For all other peeps > Refer pg 114 for DC specs: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us...ktop-6th-gen-core-family-datasheet-vol-1.html

Also people need to be a bit mindful that that figure also includes overshoot (figure depends on load line calibration setting which can only really be measured by an oscilloscope) so a safe core voltage is always going to be less than the absolute maximum listed on the datasheet.

What's your socket temps running? Just curious

But yeah your v core isn't high at all...

Also keep in mind the h80 is only a moderately good cooler.

First and foremost I would NEVER let my mobo do the overclocking via presets. It will NEVER get your max potential.

I bet if you went into your bios and manually did it you could either lower temps and same speed or have the same temps at a higher speed.

But personal I wouldn't want mine running that high.

And just because other people hit 4.7-4.9 doesn't mean you will.

I run an i5-6600K @ 4.3 Ghz, cooled by an Arctic Cooling Freezer Extreme V2, and under Intel Burn Test I reach 84 C°, so I'd say your temps are pretty normal for the cooler you are using.
It never ever runs that hot on normal use, only in stress tests.

Back