• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Overclockix Revived

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
dmraid

xfs-progs/utils whatever (i think building support for the newest file systems would be great... i had an issue trying to recover a btrfs file system created on a newer system from an older boot disk)

teamviewer is great to add in. Its remote assistence software (free for non-commercial use... i dont know if its open source but it gets around problems that may persist from things like freeNX)

All things chroot

unrar

(more to come if i can think of anything)

I am really excited to be able to get involved but it will have to wait until May after I get married then I can devote some time to helping you out

dmraid

xfs-progs/utils whatever (i think building support for the newest file systems would be great... i had an issue trying to recover a btrfs file system created on a newer system from an older boot disk)

teamviewer is great to add in. Its remote assistence software (free for non-commercial use... i dont know if its open source but it gets around problems that may persist from things like freeNX)

All things chroot

unrar

(more to come if i can think of anything)

I am really excited to be able to get involved but it will have to wait until May after I get married then I can devote some time to helping you out

hopefully i should have most fs support included. in gparted, all but ufs are available but i will check to make sure is have the associated utilities for others as that is a big thing. looking into something like teamviewer would be a great idea. at the very least, include some remote desktop and vnc clients.

i know what you mean about free time and getting married (congrats by the way :D). i'm getting married in late june so who knows how much i will be around then.

well, for the boot logo, it has to be the same dimensions, color depth, etc as this. for a desktop background, 1280x1024 would probably be a good resolution i'd imagine.

What's the color depth of that picture?

DreamerBrian, do you know of any applications that can do what you are talking about in regards to network topology? that would make a great addition.

I know that you can create network topologies with Microsoft Office's Visio. If there is an open-source alternative then I am not aware of it. Plus, Visio does not automatically generate a network topology dependent on the current topology on the customer's side of the demarc. Maybe this is something that could be found/implemented? I'm more just theory crafting at this point.

Brian

Last edited:
You are talking automated infrastructure discovery and mapping...

Not going to get that functionality in anything short of an enterprise class package or switch based reporting/monitoring utilities. There are home grown ways of using linux tools to gather the necessary data, but nothing thats going to do all the work for you without a lot of work and knowledge.

Look into spectrum, solarwinds, etc to get example packages.

Wireshark and etherape are simpler tools that give some good network information that is very useful. nmap may be able to get you something close, but it would have limitations:
http://nmap.org/book/zenmap-topology.html

that boot splash picture is 640x480 and i am pretty sure it is a 'png-8' format.

*edit: here is a simple background that was provided to me by someone who used to frequent the forums a while ago:
http://www.overclockix.com/random/OC_plague.jpg

i'd like to keep the background simple and to the point.

also, here is some artwork that was used for the boot logo in the original:
http://www.overclockix.com/random/bootsplash.png

and here is a quick boot logo i slapped together based on the default debian boot logo:
http://www.overclockix.com/random/splash_new.png

action shot:
overclockix_logo_boot.png

Last edited:
I like that picture that you posted. We should consider replacing the 'i' in Overclockix with the OC lightning bolt and removing the OverClockers logo under the OS title. I think it would look sweet with those changes :D

not a bad idea if you ask me... let me see what i can do :D

it will probably look like crap because my photoshop skills are majorly lacking :p

*edit: ...and i was right :) it would take a bit of redoing the overclockix logo to get it to look right which is beyond my ability or level of caring to try

Last edited:
cold.nut - awesome! let me know if you have any problems/suggestions in your poking around.

aah it's so bright! :D the right background and the right size and you have the start of something that could be good. even though i suck at photo editing, i love just screwing around to see what i can actually do.

yeah, i use gimp when i am in linux at home. i just happen to have photoshop at work so i use that. the nice thing about messing with photoshop/gimp is that if you google the right terms, you can find tutorials on how to do pretty much anything you want to do.

it would be nice to hold competitions w/voting for designing a new boot logo as well as a desktop wallpaper. i might be able to convince IMOG to send out some swag to the winners...

right now i am looking for more applications to install. i am definitely adding 'gtkvncviewer' (vnc) & 'grdesktop' (remote desktop) but one thing i was wondering about was anti-virus. i would like to include 'clamtk' but it adds 44 MB to the os which is a decent chunk of space. i certainly think an anti-virus is good to have, especially for troubleshooting but i was wondering if there was anything more lightweight.

a virtualization product would probably be a bit more tricky to configure since this is a live distro (continually changing hardware) and it also probably wouldn't run very well either. it would also eat up a bit of space on the image.

i would really like to be able to keep so that it can be put on a normal CD. i just did a quick build of the gnome-core ISO and it comes to 529MB. this is including the applications i have listed as being added for the .009 build.

from the looks of it, it would appear that the f@h scripts that splat has updated just need to be dropped on the image and the scripts will take care of the rest. i will see if i can spend a little bit of time checking out the f@h scripts this afternoon so i can include them in .009. i plan on uploading a .009 build on monday so i have all weekend to tweak and mess with anything that anyone suggests.

i would really like to be able to keep so that it can be put on a normal CD. i just did a quick build of the gnome-core ISO and it comes to 529MB. this is including the applications i have listed as being added for the .009 build.

from the looks of it, it would appear that the f@h scripts that splat has updated just need to be dropped on the image and the scripts will take care of the rest. i will see if i can spend a little bit of time checking out the f@h scripts this afternoon so i can include them in .009. i plan on uploading a .009 build on monday so i have all weekend to tweak and mess with anything that anyone suggests.

Back