• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Overclockix Revived

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
aah it's so bright! :D the right background and the right size and you have the start of something that could be good. even though i suck at photo editing, i love just screwing around to see what i can actually do.

Yea, that would be a shock to the [users]system, for sure.

-some more messing around:

reversebootsplash.png

you might consider gnome-rdp and wine if you have space

I was debating about suggesting wine, but then there may be some tools (for me like superpi) that for one reason or another I just couldnt get working on my machine but will work in wine

you might consider gnome-rdp and wine if you have space

I was debating about suggesting wine, but then there may be some tools (for me like superpi) that for one reason or another I just couldnt get working on my machine but will work in wine

my only problem with gnome-rdp is the amount of space that it takes up. while it does multiple protocols, it's about 4-5x the space that the vnc and rdp client take up together. i will toss in wine as well. i don't really see a reason not to if people would get some use out of it.

my only problem with gnome-rdp is the amount of space that it takes up. while it does multiple protocols, it's about 4-5x the space that the vnc and rdp client take up together. i will toss in wine as well. i don't really see a reason not to if people would get some use out of it.
I can't recall if you already discussed the desire to keep this to something that will fit a CD. Personally I would be happy to have something that will fit a DVD. I don't think you can buy a USB flash drive today smaller than 4 GB. Size available on a DVD disk is in the same ballpark.

I have to wonder how much effort you have to put in and how much functionality we have to sacrifice to fit on a CD. I suspect that we can point to old machines with limited resources that have no DVD drive and cannot boot a USB flash drive. It seems to me that is not the kind of H/W that is popular here.

My $0.02 on this subject.

I like VNC myself, it works the best with my Android phone. :rock:

I can't recall if you already discussed the desire to keep this to something that will fit a CD. Personally I would be happy to have something that will fit a DVD. I don't think you can buy a USB flash drive today smaller than 4 GB. Size available on a DVD disk is in the same ballpark.

I have to wonder how much effort you have to put in and how much functionality we have to sacrifice to fit on a CD. I suspect that we can point to old machines with limited resources that have no DVD drive and cannot boot a USB flash drive. It seems to me that is not the kind of H/W that is popular here.

My $0.02 on this subject.

i would like to keep it as slim as possible. i don't see a reason to include everything under the sun. if someone wants to install a package, i have included synaptic and apt works from the command line so they can install whatever random packages they want. i think aiming to keep it on a cd is easily obtainable considering current size. with 4gb, you could have a full blown distro but that seems a bit excessive. i know most people don't want to download a 4 gb file (and i know i don't want to upload 4gb files either! ;))

I like VNC myself, it works the best with my Android phone. :rock:

well yeah, i've included a vnc client. are you saying you can control your phone via vnc? :confused: otherwise, i am not sure what you're trying to say exactly.

Personally I would be happy to have something that will fit a DVD... I suspect that we can point to old machines with limited resources that have no DVD drive and cannot boot a USB flash drive. It seems to me that is not the kind of H/W that is popular here.

There are a lot of people (myself included) that are using their old rigs as Linux boxes. Because 'old rigs' is such a broad spectrum term, these things could have some really big hardware and performance limitations. I think it's a good idea to keep the distro as slim as possible so that basic installation isn't a problem. That being said, the idea of including a recommended list of applications to install after basic installation seems like a good one! People can see how the barebones distro reacts with their hardware, and then they can make the decision to push their hardware even more if they so choose.

Brian

EDIT: Another reason to keep the distro slim (able to fit on a CD-ROM) is just like you said, Hank, optical drives available on their legacy gear.

the .009 builds have been uploaded.

i am doing some re-writing of the build script since it really won't need to accommodate multiple desktop environments anymore (only i386 & amd64, each having a iso-hybrid and usb-hdd image).

i am also working on an amd64 build using gnome-core since it seems that it is going to be the desktop environment of choice.

i'ev spent a majority of the day doing some rewriting of the overclockix build utils script to accommodate a directory structure better suited for a single desktop environment. i have updated the documentation to reflect the changes.

i've also successfully created the following builds based on gnome-core:
  • i386 iso-hybrid
  • i386 usb-hdd
  • amd64 iso-hybrid
  • amd64 usb-hdd

i will be polishing them up a tad (as well as testing the usb-hdd builds as i have yet to do that) and i will upload them tomorrow morning. hopefully this will be the last major rewrite of any sort in terms of the scripts and more focus can be put towards finding and fixing any bugs. i know the folding scripts still need testing (hint, hint :D)

after uploading the .010 builds tomorrow, i hope to not require as many releases as it begins to stabilize but i can't guarantee anything as i am sure many issues will come up.

Yes sir! Taking a day or two break from folding and homework. Downloading as I type.

Thank you mbently for your hard work! I am always amazed with the comradery this

community here at Overclockers.com possess.

i'm actually using overclockix right now to do some repair & recovery work on my mom's laptop :D seems to be working well. i did find a few tools that weren't installed that i could have used right off the bat for mounting samba shares: smbfs and smbclient. not totally sure if smbclient was necessary but smbfs definitely was. i will have to include those in a future release.

i was able to dd the entire hdd to my server without a problem.

*edit: looks like i didn't include ntfs-3g either. i thought i had...

Last edited:
Matt, the more I follow this I am psyched to dig in with you when I can free myself up. I am in the midst of simultaneously taking LPIC, Ubuntu and Suse Certs (I know... kinda silly of me...)

Anyways I really want to get involved when my time free's up a bit. At very least I am a few weeks (1 or 2) from the 50 meg connection (I think the upload is only like 3 megs though)

Hopefully there will something for me to help out with by the time my time is freed

there will most definitely be plenty to work on :D luckily i am working with a very stable platform in debian live so the base is stable. it just isn't as feature rich as i would like at the moment. that is where i am hoping you can help out as there are quite a bit of polishing that needs to be done. just send me a PM when you might be able to start to help out and i will get an account set up for you to access the build environment so you can at least get familiar with it.

is there anyone who can test the f@h install scripts? i've been busier than normal this week so i haven't really been able to test anything. i am guessing they will need some tweaking as splat mentioned that 32 bit f@h is either old or broken.

bump. i still need people to test the f@h scripts. i would like to get more people involved if at all possible and right now i just need more testing.

1 more month... just 1 more month

Also a noteworthy addition for utilities may be

grsync

its in the standard repos for mint 10

Last edited:
Back