• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4 [email protected] instability with microsfot software

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

domstar

My p4 2.4c is running at 3.1(18.0x175), everything is perfectly stable except certain microsoft programess. for example windows media often ust closes it self for no reason what so ever where as winamp or quicktime dont. also internet explorer plays up after a long while of being on. Any ideas as to why only microsoft software acts this way?
DoM

Have you run any stability testing software such as Prime95 or FAH? My thoughts are that your system is not totally stable, while some software is coded and can take some stability there is the possibility that this is becoming apparent with your microsoft apps. So the solution would be to run one of those tests and if you aren't stable, either back off your OC some or increase your voltage to gain stability.

Yeah i could add mroe voltage as im only at 1.75 at the moment and its perfectly cool. I dont understand prime 95, i normaly use sandra but the enw evaluation evrsion doesnt over the burn in option. what is FAH?

Well its at 1.775 and it runs 45 full load generaly runs 40 and below. Im using a thermalright slk-947u with 92mm ystech fan-seems to be fine. Is there any chance this instability coul be ram related? Tel me if im wrong but i feel i am working my ram quite hard, its pc2700 and it running 175x2. its meant to be 2.5,3,3 but ive lowred all of these to 2,3,3 i think. Its only cheap non braned ram but seems ok.

Back