• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4 3.06GHz CPU temp reading

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
He said he reseated it a few times so I assume its on right but your scenario IS a possible cause.

My brother came done this weekend, and he brought his P4 2GHz system. I took the CPU out of his and put it in mine, and it read the same high temps as my 3GHz. Seems the problem is the motehrboard.....

As long as your computer is running stable, and it seems to be since you said you have been running F@H and BF1942. I've read somewhere that there are problems with the 8INXPs having trouble reading CPU temps wrong. Some people have read high temperatures on these boards while others have low stagnant temps. Try looking around the Gigabyte Forums. You also might want to upgrade to the F4 BIOS. I don't know if that fixed the problem or not, but it is a new BIOS release so I'm guessing it did if enough people complained.

I noticed that there was a F4 BIOS on there website, but I get no response from there FTP server, so right now, I can't downlaod it.

Also, does anyone have a good number for there tech support?

Gigabyte tech support wasnt too responsive regarding my BX board that was incorrectly designed that it could not run a GF2 due to lack of power to the AGP slot. Good Luck.

How hot does the damn HS feel when u touch it near the bottom?

I downloaded and installed the F4 Bios.

No change, still reads high temps.

I guess I will need to RMA this board, if I can find a phone number for tech support.:mad:

Hi guys, arch what kind of power supply do you have? and do you have alot of extra stuff hooked up to your computer IE: lights , alot of fans ... because On my board .. "INTEL Dbg850 " i had too many things hooked to the power supply and i started getting false readings with the guage at 0 but the digital reading at something like 130C the max it could get to i belive... *just a thought*

The power supply I have is a OptiMax 500Watt

The BIOS reports the following voltages:

VCORE 1.634
VCC15 1.472
+3.3V 3.232
+5 4.945
+12 11.52

And it doesn't change much when I turn the fans off.

EasyTune 4 reads
VCoreA 1.630
+3.3 3.160
+5 4.910
+12 11.390

arch113 said:
EasyTune4 has the voltage set to 1.60, what is it suppose to be?

ahh, easytune. easytune is the overlclocking utility. i did not know you were overclocking at all. 1.6 is a fine vcore for overclocking (maybe even a bit conservative), but its a tad high for default. the rest of your voltages seem low, especially the 12v rail.

I didn't say I was overclocking, I just have the utility installed. I didn't want to overclock until I get this temp problem fixed.

Multiplier is set at 23 and the system bus is set at 133, isn't that the default? I have made any changes, I was just using it to give volt readings.

I hooked a multi-meter to one of the floppy power connectors and it reads 11.63 and 5.08.

What is the default voltage suppose to be for a P4 3.06GHz (HT) cpu?

Hi, I think its 1.525 if am not wrong. I got myself a P4 2.4 B C1 @1.525v i got temps at 47-49 C idle and 57-59 load prime 95 :) seems high isnt it :( using a Epox 4PEA+. so i oc'd my cpu using 170 FSB now i still get same temps at least its running 3.06.
I think it has something to do with the on die temp reading :) i tried a new 2.5 same temps about 49C at boot up from bios and MBM tried a diff board MSI same results. I really think P4 are hots specially the C1 stepping but u can try ocing it with same temps. BTW my ambient is about 35C. system temps reads around 40-43 C. i got lian li PC 65 with 2 front intake 1 side intake 1 back exhaust and 1 top exhaust, Using a Thermaltake Spark 7 HSF too, all this didnt even lower my temps.

So anyone having same probs ?

Thanks

57-59C temps would be cold for me, mine always reads around 78C+

When I put the P4 2.0GHz, the temps wasn't any better, so I think the motherboard isn't reading them right.

Back