• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

p4 stock hsf

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

soccrstar

Registered
hello,

i got a p4 2.66ghz wit stock heatsink fan

and i b idlin' at 34-35C which is great on my part. considerin' my athlon XP 2000+ wit volcano9 @ 75cfm had my cpu @ 49C idle.

neways once i go into full load on my cpu the temp jumps outrageously to 57C

thats a 22-23C INCREASE and temp difference between idle n load. which i think is outrageous.

would gettin' another HSF help? i'm hearin' good things bout them slk-900s. but also hearin' things bout size issue.

i got gigabyte SINXP1394 motherboard. would it fit mine?

thanks

I don't think it should jump up that high going to full load. I have a 2.4ghz overclocked to 2.61ghz on my stock heatsink and it's full load temp is 46 degrees C. I would say take it off and make sure it is touching the CPU good. Clean it off and re-apply thermal goop (don't use that patch thingy) and see if that helps. Make sure you have the whole thing covered.

If you overclock that temperature looks normal. For example: Assume you cpu consumes 50W under stock speed. You bump up you vcore from 1.5 to 1.7, then bump up fsb from 100 to 125, the overclocked cpu will generate (1.7/1.5)^2*1.25*50 = 80W. Intel stock HS has C/W coefficient about .30, so the delta=80*0.3 = 24C.

You problem is your ambient temp is too high, improve you case vent.

And 49c idle for an Athlon XP with a Volcano 9 means something is wrong - HSF installed poorly, poor airflow in the case, 2.5v through the cpu... SOMETHING isn't right.

Definitely something wrong with Volcano 9. I use Volcano 9 in my rig2 (see my sig) I oc xp1700 to 1.8G, folding full time, my load temp is only 42C, motherboard temp is 27C, room temp is 18C

Back