• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4P800 vs. IS7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
well i think i will get the p4p800 because it is slightly cheaper and it seems to be abit more stable then the abit, but there is 1 thing, i thought the p4p800 was a sringdale?
i thought the caterwood were the better boards?
or does it not matter?

i could probably get the p4c800, but just i would have to find teh money some where to get it.
but is it actually worth the extra cash?
i mean what added benifits would i get from buying this mobo?

Rashio_UK said:
really is that it?

then why are people getting the p4c over the p4p?

Well from what i've seen, they are kind of like an Amd xp1700+ vs xp2800+. With the 1700+ you can have the same performance compared to a xp2800+, do you know what i mean?
If you can justify the price difference, go for the canterwood but i don't see the point unless you stress your system to the max. Even then i think the springdale will have plenty.

Rashio_UK said:
really is that it?

then why are people getting the p4c over the p4p?
The canterwood p4c is a little more stable when pushing the two boards to their max and running 24/7 under full load. You will see some difference in benchmarks but in real world performance you will never notice the difference. Pick the one that your pocket will allow.

I have a 2.4C, 2.6C and a 2.8C that I have tested on both boards and each one will run a little higher fsb on the P4C800. Not that 3-5Mhz fsb makes squat for difference.

Well the P4C came today. Unfortunately there was no cd or manual, looks like i'm gonna have to download everything. Oh well. The latest BIOS (1008) is the best one right?

I have an ASUS P4P800 with 2x transcend 512MB DDR333 and a Celeron 2,4. It overclocks with ease to 3,2. No problems here, but I think I should have got better ram. Everything works fine except prime95 gives me errors. Now I'm testing from stock speed up. It's running for 1 day on stock without errors. Will wait for another day or so, and then overclock again, but this time I'm gonna bump the cpu voltage up a bit and maybe the ram voltage too.

The P4P800 is a very cool board. Personaly I would prefer ABIT, but they couldn't get one for me and I didn't wanna wait. The only issue is the heat the board tem is 48, cpu 47 stock running prime95 for one day. When overclocked to 3,2 it rises to 50/50 and I think this could also be the cause for instability.

Nameless, i think the p4c has the promise chip which also adds 2 extra sata ports, on the p4p ist the slightly cheaper via chip which only delivers PATA.

cheers bear

Bah, I can't find an english manual on the asus website. The english manual is in german. The german manual is in german. The multi-language quick install guide is in french, dutch, italian, spanish and russian. I'm getting ****ed off at asus now.

In what order should I install the drivers. I'm going to need to install chipset drivers, sound drivers, raid drivers, and ethernet drivers. And anything else I may be forgetting at the moment.

First you chould install chipset drivers. Then graphic drivers, then sound, ethernet, raid.

Except if you want to boot from raid then you must install raid drivers when you're installing windows.

BTW I had trouble installing the latest gigabit lan drivers, cos when I downloaded them the were corrupted.

TheNamelessOne said:
In what order should I install the drivers. I'm going to need to install chipset drivers, sound drivers, raid drivers, and ethernet drivers. And anything else I may be forgetting at the moment.
There is a good XP install guide here

Texasfit: You have all the boards that we're discussing. Have you done a direct comparison between the 3 with the same RAM, CPU, etc.

Also, have you tried all 3 CPUs in the same system, what did they clock to and was it the CPU or the MB that reached it's limit first.

Does anyone have a link to the p4c800 deluxe manual in english? I need it for things like where to plug in the IDE cables for raid 0. Just download it first and make sure its actually in english.

Rashio_UK said:
texasfit,
it that the highest you can push your 2.8c too?
I had the chip on the P4P800 up to 249fsb=3486Mhz @ 1.75vcore but it was not totally stable and the temps were running 60-62C under full load.

marklar said:
Texasfit: You have all the boards that we're discussing. Have you done a direct comparison between the 3 with the same RAM, CPU, etc.

Also, have you tried all 3 CPUs in the same system, what did they clock to and was it the CPU or the MB that reached it's limit first.
Nope sorry - never ran any of the other chips on the same board for comparison. Been thinking about doing so with my P4C800 and the 2.8C but just have not.

If I were to pick one of the three boards, it would be the P4C800. Just seems to be more stable. I personally feel that the canterwood is more stable of the two chipsets. If I were buying another rig setup, it would be another P4C800 or an IC7.

FYI: The Set1/Set2 rigs with the 2.4C and 2.8C are only used for crunching Seti WU's. They just sit in the corner of my computer room with two wires coming out of each. A power cable and a Cat5 connected to a hub. ;)

Back