• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5B deluxe dead...?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
ihrsetrdr next time it happens, could you try out my solution and see if it works for you? Might be easier and could be a solution for most people who have the no post problem with this board.

DumpALump said:
ihrsetrdr next time it happens, could you try out my solution and see if it works for you? Might be easier and could be a solution for most people who have the no post problem with this board.

I have taken those steps, but to no avail. With my cmx2512a-6400 dimms I can never boot into the o/s; with my stick of OCZ 1gb ddr2 667 I can boot to the o/s but if I change BIOS settings even a little, I have to do the unplug/remove battery/ press "insert" steps or else nothings happens.

Once I get the ds3 up and running I'll probably just buy some different RAM(got some overtime coming soon) and get the p5b going. ;)

ok i got it to occur more. (Video doesnt Init)
it happens more often than not when the Memory has been boosted to high.
all i do to reset it,, is what asus says, turn OFF the power, not reset, not the front button, but the whole power to the machine.
that works almost everytime to bring it to its "recovery" state
mabey once or twice it still came up blank, and i just powered OFF again.

the bios seems to remember certian things.
stuff like this cant be good for my parts, but at least they do have a "recovery" method

Last edited:
tim ... i ran across this post ... p5b-vm not p5b-d but same corsair mem
-> http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx...Language=en-us&board_id=1&model=P5B-VM&page=1

referrs to manually setting timings on that mobo to get it stable ... and refers to a post over on corsair site

g/l

... on the reset procedure ... i am running on a bench so i just short my jumpers for power on. never use the reset .. i switch the psu off, and after waitng for the blue led to go out, switch it back on. :shrug:

Thanks for the link Pete; I've tried adjusting the settings manually, but have not made any progress.

Ya'all ain't gonna believe this(well, you might) but I bought a GA-965P-DS3 which arrived yesterday. It came with F4 so I flashed to F5; won't get past the POST screen at all with the Corsair dimms. :rolleyes: Otherwise, the ds3 is very cooperative; runs the set of pc 4200 just fine. I have the p5b boxed up, but haven't quite decided whether to return it or not. I think the whole problem centers around THIS particular set of Corsair dimms. It looks like I'll be buying at least one(maybe 2) sets of RAM for the ds3 and perhaps the p5b as well.

Since I bought this Corsair from an individual, I'm not sure if I can do an RMA(in case something wrong with dimms) with Corsair or not.

ihrsetrdr said:
Last night I figured I'd at least try to OC this puppy, but what-ever the issue is with the memory controller(BIOS or maybe hardware-related?) I don't get very far before I have to pull battery/reset jumper/wait a few minutes and press "insert" to get back up. This is getting OLD real quick! :shrug:

I decided to just let it run a day or two at stock settings and pick up a couple more fAh wu's. Even at stock and just 1 stick of ram, it folds 2 wu's decently.

screenie

My options look like this:

A. Flash to an earlier bios and hope it solves the mem issue.
B. Wait for a bios update and hope that solves the problem
C. Sell off this set of dimms and buy another set that the majority of people are having no problems with.
D. Do an RMA-replacement or an RMA-refund and get on with life.
E. C & D above
F. Just run it at stock and pretend that it's just and "up-scale" pent. D rig.
<sigh>

What's that thing you have with the PC temperature? Asus probe or something? I've always wanted that same temp thing but never knew what it was...

Anyway, things like this make me happy I own a DS3. The earlier bioses (as well as the new F7 I hear...) were pretty quirky, but I haven't had a single problem since the day I finally got it stable (Well... I was getting blue screens once I added another sound card, but I just disabled said soundcard's software since I'm only using it for midi, and it's working fine now.)

rainless said:
What's that thing you have with the PC temperature? Asus probe or something? I've always wanted that same temp thing but never knew what it was...

Its Asus probeII ... it is proprietary to asus mobos ... i think i tried it on an abit and it wouldn't install.

Back