• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5B Deluxe vs Commando

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Jod said:
That's the main reason I didn't go w/ the EVGA board. Now that I've experienced the power of the matrix and the crazy snappy Winblows experience... :beer: :beer:

Gonna swap out the Commando @ Fry's in hopes of receiving a less noisy board. Wish me luck!
Lots of luck. Though I was looking at that board myself (probably should hold off for a P35 based board). It looks pretty impressive.

Question for Commando owners : Does it still double boot as P5B-Dlx does ?

Yeah, the one that off/paused momentarily and then restart again.

@Bing

Yeah, the one that off/paused momentarily and then restart again.

yep coming from an award bios put the fear of god up me when it 1st happened. A sound like that on my dfi usually meant curtains.:)
I'm actually pretty cool with it now

I was originally thinking of 680i but the $ of the commando here in uk about $25 more than p5b dlx, made a lot more sense.

Supershanks said:
@Bing

yep coming from an award bios put the fear of god up me when it 1st happened. A sound like that on my dfi usually meant curtains.:)
I'm actually pretty cool with it now

I was originally thinking of 680i but the $ of the commando here in uk about $25 more than p5b dlx, made a lot more sense.

I've had that happen with every board since my P5LD2 (when overclocked) they have all done that.

kyleslater said:
Lots of luck.
Screw luck, I bought 2. :santa:

bing said:
It doesn't really bother me anymore either. Other than folks w/ water, what's the reason it's hated so much? Please don't tell me it'll ruin components.

I really do enjoy the layout, especially the SATA ports. It def helped for for a clean build.
th_sidehole.jpg

Also, I noticed a few people bitchin' about the vdroop. I've done no OC (temp ram), but @ stock it's 1.28 in Asus Probe...load @ 1.27. If that's right, it's the lowest amount of vdroop I've ever seen on a board. Now I just have to decide if I wanna use the AS5 or some of this man nail polish Zalman STG crap on the new board...

Last edited:
vdroop increases as u oc, as u found at low spedds vdroop is small. To rubbish the commando 4 vdroop is ridiculous when it exists in all non-intel 965 & 975 mobos.

Asus probe voltages are overall pretty close to the actual voltage readings from a multimeter. I measured mine & was suprised compared to the big differences on previous boards.

Amazing wiring job JOD.

Makes me want to get mine sorted... I will some day, but eh, not right now haha.

Thanks, now get rid of this whine!!! Grrr...I hear it from the front right of my case and also from the PSU. It's def an issue w/ Commando vs Antec NEO HE 550. Now it's just a question of whether or not to swap the board or the PSU. There's no more Asus P5B in PHX, so I'm leaning towards a Gigabyte DQ6.

You're both right. Interesting comment from Hardforum. Alright, here's what I got...

Seasonic S12 Plus makes an even worse noise that def comes from the PSU. Squeezing, twisting, or moving the various coils on the board do nothing. I have 1 more out of 3 Commando's left to try. When unplugging the various devices inside the case, I found the noise went away substantially wo/ the 2 raptor ADFD's. This did not bother me previously w/ the P5B, but I can't possibly see how the Commando could be causing this. Wo/ the Raps, I still get the long distance electrical noise that interferes the head on my shoulders. As soon as my pc gets turned off, I feel relaxed. I'm def going w/ either a P5B or the Bad Axe 2 today. And I'll chuck the raptors if I have too. My piece of mind is worth more than faster loading time. :D

Back